Bridging LM1875 into 4Ohms design with Forced fan Cooling ... Possible??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need help here ... i am helping a friend of mine to design an LM1875 Bridged amp X4 ... which means will use total of 8 LM1875's ... my friend wanted to use this amp for 4ohms speaker (bridged configuration) ... and the design will use force fan cooling total of 8 cooling Fans ... (4 blowing and 4 exhaust) ... will this able to handle 4 ohm in bridge mode?

thanks

Btw is not a paralled but a bridged LM1875 ... i cant Find LM3886 in my place ... so this is the alternative ... my friend say he dont mind having a very large heatsink for this amp as we used cooling fan to cool the heatsink as much as possible

Anyway i have a 4channel LM1875 DIY ... tried to bridged them into 8ohms with no problems at all ... i wonder if it is 4ohms the IC will run into thermal protection if it overheats ... as if i am not mistaken these IC's have thermal cut off ...

Last edited:
Ah, I see - apologies for my misunderstanding. So there are 4 channels - well the 1875s will 'see' a 2R load when bridged which they won't take too kindly to. Whether it thermally overheats will depend mainly on the supply voltages, then on the music you play and probably after that, on the heatsinking. Certainly you'll get worse distortion with 2R load but whether it will be audible is debatable.

Once you get into that level of complexity, chipamps lose attractive, I'd go discrete .
Plus they limit you a lot, specially on PSU voltage.
Once you start *needing* to bridge + parallel them to meet a power output goal, in my book it means you are going way beyond what was originally expected from them.
Just saying.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.