Boosting the power of an amp or building my own? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2013, 08:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Boosting the power of an amp or building my own?

Hey, I was wondering if I could boost the power of an amplifier somehow? I have a Samsung HT-X30 home cinema system and it's only 600W, 133W for 5 speakers, and 166W for the sub. As I'm attempting to build powerful speakers I was wondering if it's possible to increase the power of it or possibly build my own? I got a 1KW computer PSU if I can use that?

Cheers, James
Old 29th May 2013, 08:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

ONLY 600 watts? Wow, that is a lot of power! my diyaudio integrated amplifier is around 80 watts R.M.S per channel (stereo) and I never push it to the limit. What I would do is to get speakers with higher S.P.L I would never suggest to anyone to "modify" an amplifier to get more power, Can it be done?...SURE it can!!! as long as you know what you are doing!.

My options will be:
a) Get speakers with higher S.P.L
B) Buy or build a more powerful amplifier.
Old 29th May 2013, 08:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

How could I build one? And is 600W a lot then for a 5.1 system? I thought it was quite low, my bad
Old 29th May 2013, 09:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mast0rMason View Post
How could I build one? And is 600W a lot then for a 5.1 system? I thought it was quite low, my bad
Well,if it is "real" 600 watts R.M.S power it is a lot!!! do not believe all what they put on the box lol. You are here at diyaudio...most of us build our gears here. if you know the basic in electronics like how to use a DMM, How to read an schematic, How to solder etc...you can build your own amp!!!. Here you will find all the help that you will need to build one amp from scratch. But again, if you do not know the basic in electronics and do not have the right tools to do this...it will be better to buy an amplifier or get speakers with higher S.P.L.
Old 29th May 2013, 10:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
Well,if it is "real" 600 watts R.M.S power it is a lot!!! do not believe all what they put on the box lol.
This is the truth. Measuring the real output is instructive. I measured the output of a "50+50 watts RMS" el cheapo stereo. It was actually 12+12 watts RMS. Furthermore, the power supply exhibited 40% voltage droop delivering this said 12+12 watts RMS.

600 watts is a whole lot of power for any speaker system. What is the obsession with watts? it's undistorted SPL that counts. If you speakers are 100 dB/watt, 10 watts RMS is a lot.

I would be willing to bet that your reciever can't drive all 5.1 channels (what is .1 channel anyway? Such stupid nomenclature) at full power continuously.

I recommend that you look at more efficient speakers. Modifying commercial equipment for "more power" is folly. Alternatively, you could purchase a real power amplifier to drive your main speakers and/or subwoofer.
Old 30th May 2013, 08:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D View Post
This is the truth. Measuring the real output is instructive. I measured the output of a "50+50 watts RMS" el cheapo stereo. It was actually 12+12 watts RMS. Furthermore, the power supply exhibited 40% voltage droop delivering this said 12+12 watts RMS.

600 watts is a whole lot of power for any speaker system. What is the obsession with watts? it's undistorted SPL that counts. If you speakers are 100 dB/watt, 10 watts RMS is a lot.

I would be willing to bet that your reciever can't drive all 5.1 channels (what is .1 channel anyway? Such stupid nomenclature) at full power continuously.

I recommend that you look at more efficient speakers. Modifying commercial equipment for "more power" is folly. Alternatively, you could purchase a real power amplifier to drive your main speakers and/or subwoofer.
.1 must be the sub, there's mono, stereo, quadrophonic, 5.1 and 7.1. 5.1 has center, front left+right, rear left+right and a sub. Also it's a home cinema system, still goes loud but wouldn't mind it louder for house parties..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
Well,if it is "real" 600 watts R.M.S power it is a lot!!! do not believe all what they put on the box lol. You are here at diyaudio...most of us build our gears here. if you know the basic in electronics like how to use a DMM, How to read an schematic, How to solder etc...you can build your own amp!!!. Here you will find all the help that you will need to build one amp from scratch. But again, if you do not know the basic in electronics and do not have the right tools to do this...it will be better to buy an amplifier or get speakers with higher S.P.L.
I can solder pretty well and know some schematics
Old 30th May 2013, 04:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

if you need "a lot power" get a PA system!. it will blow the windows and ears drums lol... in my case I choose for Quality watts!
Old 31st May 2013, 06:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I saw the system on google and it is a low power unit. You should construct an amp and buy better speakers.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 31st May 2013, 08:35 AM   #9
balerit is offline balerit  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I'd hazard a guess that most home systems, el cheapo's, use 12w chipamps. with a tiny transformer
Old 31st May 2013, 01:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmphadte View Post
I saw the system on google and it is a low power unit. You should construct an amp and buy better speakers.

Gajanan Phadte
I agree 100%, it looks like a toy with a lot of gadgets. I think it will be ok for a really small room....like a bathroom!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!