Noise in CG - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2003, 07:09 AM   #1
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Noise in CG

Have just completed my first amp project, an inverted two channel LM3875 using this schematic. The only changes I have made are that I used 0.1uF caps across 1000uF, used an additional 4000uF for each power supply rail and used a 56k resistor to ground at the input instead of vaiable resistor (using as power amp). I am getting some noise at the speakers. When the amp is connected to pre-amp and volume of pre-amp is turned past 1/2 way I am getting a low level 100hz hum from the woofers that increases in volume when volume knob on pre is increased. This noise is inaudible with volume less than 1/2. When pre amp is on there is also a hiss coming from the tweeters. This hiss does not change volume with movement of the pre-amp volume control, but stops completely when pre-amp is switched off. There is NO noise at all from speakers when there is no input to amp (pre-amp turned off or RCA cables disconnected). Any help on where to start looking to solve these problems would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: gif invertedlm3875_r2_1(2).gif (8.9 KB, 628 views)
Old 3rd December 2003, 07:48 AM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Why do you have so high resistance values? As pot I would have chosen 10 k or so. High values creates noise. What is the purpose of the 22k?

Have you tried to shortcircuit the 18k? Is it necessary?
Old 3rd December 2003, 09:31 AM   #3
Jax is offline Jax  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Try removing the 22k, it injects bias current into the signal ground. This resistor will set the DC gain to 10 which in my opinion is unnecessary. The 10k + 4.7u + source impedance will provide a gentle rolloff to DC unity gain without it.

I myself have 330k/15k + 2.2u and a 100k pot and a 1k from + to ground on my 3886's and they are totally quiet. I do have a zobel and a 10 ohm + coil on the output though, no resistor. (I still don't understand why people add a resistor to the output).

If you still want that 22k, try moving it to the power ground instead.

Have you checked your preamp if it can drive this low impedance (<10k)? Hum and noise could come from it.

Is the input connector insulated from the chassis? If not, insulate it and wire its ground to the signal ground point. I have pots, so I have wired the connector ground to the CCW lug of the pot and from there to the signal ground.

Are both the preamp and GC signal grounds connected to protective earth? If so, you have a nice ground loop. You could try letting the GC signal ground float above the chassis but do not break the protective ground
Old 3rd December 2003, 09:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

My knowledge of electronics is rather basic, so I have stuck to the schematic that I downloaded from one of the chip amp sites. I am happy to experiment, but would really appreciate some direction ratther than just randomly changing parts... No, I have not made any changes yet. You suggest try removing 22k to ground and trying 10k at input?

Thanks guys,

Chris
Old 3rd December 2003, 02:24 PM   #5
GregGC is offline GregGC  Canada
diyAudio Member

It may be some GND loop problems. How is your gnding donne. Can you describe it please.
Old 3rd December 2003, 03:07 PM   #6
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrish
My knowledge of electronics is rather basic, so I have stuck to the schematic that I downloaded from one of the chip amp sites. I am happy to experiment, but would really appreciate some direction ratther than just randomly changing parts...
You can get much infomation just to read the datasheet and availabe application notes which in this case is very good. If you don't understand so much you can still compare good truths and what you have found on the net.

If you want an inverting amp, start with a "clean" connectionm described in datasheets and application notes. Then if it works start changing.

Much of the LM3886 stuff is valid for LM3875.

http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/LM/LM3875.pdf
http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/LM/LM3886.pdf

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1192.pdf
Old 3rd December 2003, 09:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help guys. I tried connecting the amp directly to an old Luxman cd player that I have that has a variable output. There is virtually no noise when cd on pause and volume full. Maybe it is a problem interracting with the pre amp? For info the pre amp is an old Adcom GFP555 II.

GregGC asked me to describe grounding. I have used star grounding, all signal to point on chassis next to input and power ground next to the 1000uF filter caps (behind caps in this view).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp2.jpg (59.0 KB, 443 views)
Old 3rd December 2003, 09:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Different angle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp3.jpg (39.6 KB, 430 views)
Old 3rd December 2003, 09:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

And full view of part completed case with both channels...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp4.jpg (52.3 KB, 428 views)
Old 3rd December 2003, 11:04 PM   #10
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

At what volume does the output start to clip (distort) when connected to the pre-amp? If it is at less than about "2:00" on the volume dial, then decrease the gain of your amp by reducing the value of the feedback resistor. Try 100K instead of 220K. This will reduce noise, especially the omni-present background hiss that your pre-amp is creating.

Hide this!Advertise here!