Supply for class T. Is this good enough?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
With a 3.3R in the power supply line you will only ever get 10.9W from that supply.

I understand you want to add to the filtering but there is some math involved here.

see table

Attachments

• 12V-3r3-filter.JPG
    12V-3r3-filter.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 216
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
With a 3.3R in the power supply line you will only ever get 10.9W from that supply.

I understand you want to add to the filtering but there is some math involved here.

see table
ok, and I need more like 13v in the supply of the module to get the best performance right?
So I just have to find maybe a 14v psu, keep the same filtering, and that should be pretty decent for a supply? Or should I look at regulators and such for class t? something like Salas shunt regulators?

I used a laptop supply @ 19.5V (on a TPA3116 that would take 26V) and did not use any additional filtering...worked fine...only had 2 x 560uF on board.

I am just saying to get rid of the 3.3R in your filter...you can use the rest of it no problem.

The only issue with the 12 supply you have chosen (33W) is that the module could draw more power than it can supply if you cranked it up.

Just don't use high volumes and it will be fine.

or use 8R speakers and it will be fine.

Try it and find out...let us know how it worked.

:)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I used a laptop supply @ 19.5V (on a TPA3116 that would take 26V) and did not use any additional filtering...worked fine...only had 2 x 560uF on board.

I am just saying to get rid of the 3.3R in your filter...you can use the rest of it no problem.

The only issue with the 12 supply you have chosen (33W) is that the module could draw more power than it can supply if you cranked it up.

Just don't use high volumes and it will be fine.

or use 8R speakers and it will be fine.

Try it and find out...let us know how it worked.

:)
hi
thanks for your help!
well the designer says to absolutely not give more the 14.6v to the modules... If I just drop the resistor, what should be the voltage? 12 v?

Yes, just get rid of the resistor.

However, I just checked the datasheet for the power supply you linked to.

There may be a problem using it on this IC.

It is an unregulated output. (I had thought it was regulated)

The open circuit or unloaded output voltage might exceed the 16V rating of the IC.

The output is 12V NOMINAL, when LOADED @ 1.9A.

To test, load it with a 200R resistor and measure the voltage.

I personally would not use it without safeguarding the IC to about 14.5V.

:(

Howabout something much easier?

You can also consider the TDA7297 Class AB Stereo Chip Amplifier which, according to this thread, ironically in the Class D forum, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/231988-what-heck-its-less-than-lunch.html#post3409339 has been doing a rather good job of embarrassing the Tripath. Like many others, when I tried the hamburger priced TDA7297 pre-assembled board, I removed the Tripath from the enclosure and installed the TDA7297 instead. Like the tripath, the little chip amp can do a good 8~10 watts to 8 ohm speakers, but unlike the tripath, with 8 ohm speakers the TDA7297 chip amp has 50% more watts for headroom. That's not all. The little TDA7297 has a nice fresh clean sound out of the box and really no waste of time with a huge amount of fine tuning or audiophile parts that you won't need.

P.S. An effective audio quality upgrade for either amplifier is in the ST LM338 datasheet, in the photo marked "Tracking Regulator" (a nested regulator) to which should probably be added the protection diodes shown on the simple application. The "decreased ripple" application in the TI datasheet costs less and may be suitable. The tripath can be dialed up to 13.5vdc. The TDA7297 can be dialed up to 16.5vdc. The AudioWind and ElectronicSalon stores carry a prefab LM338 5A regulator board, ready to use, and suitable if you need a really easy upgrade.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.