My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

I mean: raising the value of R3 lowers the gm, the conversion factor of the current pump. So it brings more stabilty ( less loop gain)
So it is a change which brings .more stability, at the price of less performance and more circuit losses. If Mauro had decided to use less of it, he considered worthwile - why should we explore backwards..
The current pump relies on accurate matching of the ratios R8:R9 to R5:R6
R3 is the change made for the improved current pump. This now requires R9:{R3+R8} to be ratio matched.
R3's precise value is not critical to the proper operation of the current pump.

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snoa474a/snoa474a.pdf
Note the 1% tolerance for R13 in figure 6.

I wonder if the slight change in R3 resulted in a more accurate ratio match?
Could that have given rise to the apparent improvement?
I have shown recently, the evolution of the distortion performance at different stages of the design.
The clear visible step between classic and rev-A compensation is in a nice part due to the R3 changed.

For stabilty it is probably less critical. Did not do a deep investigation. Don't see a reason for it..

Ciao, George

Last edited:
Andrew,

I have been explaining in the wider context, with the current pump and it's amplification factor as part of the composite amplifier. R3 is the single most important part in defining the current pump's transconductance.
Then this transconductance is working on the actual load impedance.
By changing R3 one changes the open loop gain.

Ciao, George

Change R3 to .33 ohm

And at the end short-circuit C9

I have been trying to follow this progression of mods, but I still am not clear on a couple things.

Can R3 be changed from .47 to .33 to make an improvement without any other component changes?

Can the comp parts be removed and C32 value be changed without changing out the LM318? I do not object to leaving C9 in the circuit. I realize that is the ultimate goal of all this modification, but I have no problem listening to music with C9 in the circuit. The last time I messed around with C10 and C34 values according to Dario's recommendations, I did not like the results at all. I don't want to go back through all that or start another debate about comp values. Does simply removing those comp parts make the amp sound better? In what way? Then why were they there to begin with? Because of the LM318?

Peace,
Tom E

The current pump relies on accurate matching of the ratios R8:R9 to R5:R6
R3 is the change made for the improved current pump. This now requires R9:{R3+R8} to be ratio matched.
R3's precise value is not critical to the proper operation of the current pump.

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snoa474a/snoa474a.pdf
Note the 1% tolerance for R13 in figure 6.

I wonder if the slight change in R3 resulted in a more accurate ratio match?
Could that have given rise to the apparent improvement?

I have been trying to follow this progression of mods, but I still am not clear on a couple things.

Can R3 be changed from .47 to .33 to make an improvement without any other component changes?

Can the comp parts be removed and C32 value be changed without changing out the LM318? I do not object to leaving C9 in the circuit. I realize that is the ultimate goal of all this modification, but I have no problem listening to music with C9 in the circuit. The last time I messed around with C10 and C34 values according to Dario's recommendations, I did not like the results at all. I don't want to go back through all that or start another debate about comp values. Does simply removing those comp parts make the amp sound better? In what way? Then why were they there to begin with? Because of the LM318?

Peace,
Tom E
The Howland Current Pump relies on an accurate ratio match of the 4 resistors, ("ratios R8:R9 to R5:R6").
The improved current pump adds in a fifth resistor, ("requires R9:{R3+R8} to be ratio matched").
That must now be included in the ratio matching.
If you change the fifth resistor value, then you unmatch the ratio and you NEED to RETRIM.

Last edited:

(...)

The last time I messed around with C10 and C34 values according to Dario's recommendations, I did not like the results at all. I don't want to go back through all that or start another debate about comp values. Does simply removing those comp parts make the amp sound better? In what way? Then why were they there to begin with? Because of the LM318?

The starting point for all mods is to apply My_Evo Rev. A compensation which means, as stated in build guide:

- Change R3 from 0.47R to 0.33R
- R39 not populated
- C10 not populated

This configuration works technically better according the original designer Mauro Penasa and sounds better according all people that actualy tried it.

After My_Evo Rev. A mod is applied, to change opamp you will need to remove C34 and change C32 (OPA827 only from what I've understood, Joseph K could help here)

The Howland Current Pump relies on an accurate ratio match of the 4 resistors, ("ratios R8:R9 to R5:R6").
The improved current pump adds in a fifth resistor, ("requires R9:{R3+R8} to be ratio matched").
That must now be included in the ratio matching.
If you change the fifth resistor value, then you unmatch the ratio and you NEED to RETRIM.

Are you serious Andrew?

The resistor at the denominator is 47KOhm... and a change of 0.14Ohm should make a difference?

Last edited:
Yes. I have just taken the smaller, 22kohm value of the bridge as reference. The 0,14 ohm shift with all values rounded up results in a 1:100000, that is 0.001% change in the balance of the bridge.
Now the prescribed precision for the bridge resistors is 0.1%.
That is 100 times, two orders of magnitude higher uncertainty than that of caused by the change in tbe current sensor element.
Andrew should go home and revisit his homework.

The starting point for all mods is to apply My_Evo Rev. A compensation which means, as stated in build guide:

- Change R3 from 0.47R to 0.33R
- R39 not populated
- C10 not populated

This configuration works technically better according the original designer Mauro Penasa and sounds better according all people that actualy tried it.

After My_Evo Rev. A mod is applied, to change opamp you will need to remove C34 and change C32 (OPA827 only from what I've understood, Joseph K could help here)

Are you serious Andrew?

The resistor at the denominator is 47KOhm... and a change of 0.14Ohm should make a difference?
Yes, I am serious. Go back and look at the Howland Current Pump notes. These show the use of tighter tolerance resistors for the ratio setting AND they put in a low value trimmer to allow precise tuning of the RATIO. This is very important.

I will go further:
The final tuning of this ratio should be done on the assembled PCB. This requires the resistors to be fitted and soldered and tapping points attached to apply voltage and take readings of the RATIO match of the assembly
I attempted to describe this years ago in a Rev C Thread. Few took any notice.

Last edited:
Yes, I am serious. Go back and look at the Howland Current Pump notes.
(...)
I attempted to describe this years ago in a Rev C Thread. Few took any notice.

I remember your posts about it and since them I've always found your approach at least extreme and not needed in this application of the HCP, 0.1% resistors are enough to ensure stability and, as calculated by Joseph K, at worst the change from a different R3 is 0.001% way under the specified tolerance.

Andrew, I think there are loads of errors in your logic here..
I would quote the article linked at by You:

Most applications notes just indicate the circuit and the ratio, that R1/R2 must be equal to R3/R4. However
they do not indicate how important it is to have precise matched or trimmed resistors. If all 4 resistors
were 10 k ohms with a 1% tolerance, the worst-case output impedance might be as bad as 250 k ohms --
and it might be plus 250k, or it might be minus 250k! For some applications, this might be acceptable, but
for full precision, you might want to use precision resistors such as 0.1% or even 0.01%. These are not
inexpensive! But it may be preferable to use precision resistors rather than to use a trim pot, which has to
be trimmed (and which may get mis-trimmed).

What we can see here that they are principally suggesting to use 0.1% resistors (and this is what we are doing here!) and maybe, "even" 0.01%... So even the author knows the impossibility of that mission.
Then, what you miss completely is the output impedance of the bridge. The levels of precision are calculated for getting at least 250kohm output impedance.

Mauro instead very clearly had defined his target for output impedance: 500ohm.

So, instead of irrelevant studies not satisfying for our application at hand, what if You would go back and re-read Mauro Penasa?

Initially, I’ve used a bridge with LM3886, configured with an Rout quite small, at about 4-10 ohms
(see My_ampli), because my main target was to exploit the good “ NFB neutrality” charactheristics of
this configuration. The result was quite OK right away, because the final sound reflected almost
exclusively the tonal characteristics of the input stage (lm318). One basic problem remained, namely
that in this configuration the resulting gm of the bridge was quite high, which in consequence raised
both the level of the output damping factor and also it’s frequency dependency.
After having conducted a series of studies on the problems connected to the damping Factor (DF; the
relation between Zint of the amp and Zload) and after having re-considerated the way how global NFB
works (shown in the theorical circuit description),
I have found it beneficial to raise the Zout of the bridge to about 500 ohm, which, in consequence, also
reduced it’s gm to gm=1.
My choice of the LM3886 is based on it’s low cost, high reliability, and good power output level
(68Wrms) even at 4 ohms load level. A general efficiency problem remained, though: it’s caused by the
value of the resistor in the output, R5=.47ohm.
This value was needed to get the high Zout and low gm levels described above. Under heavy load
conditions the dissipated power in R5 gets quite high, but I consider it acceptable in the light of the
obtained acoustical results, especially if we consider that the losses provoked in this way are much
smaller than in case of class A circuits – which would be the direct competitors here..

And, finally, I have to say I really feel sorry for being polemic with You but I feel an extremely stubborn resistance from your part.
Stubbornly being in the wrong.

Ciao, George

Last edited:
I do not object to leaving C9 in the circuit. I realize that is the ultimate goal of all this modification, but I have no problem listening to music with C9 in the circuit.

Just to clarify this point, the aim of this modification is to replace the LM318 with a modern, higher performance part. Doing this results in a clear step forward in the sound. Linking out C9 is a side benefit that's worthwhile, but not as large an improvement as the main opamp substitution..

[...]The last time I messed around with C10 and C34 values according to Dario's recommendations, I did not like the results at all. I don't want to go back through all that or start another debate about comp values. Does simply removing those comp parts make the amp sound better?
Tom, if we were talking about technical aspects, it would be easy(*) to show the results here, as George have already done.

But! How could anybody else tell you whether you will or will not like the results, subjectively? Clearly, there's no other option than to try it and judge yourself. :cannotbe:

FWIW, I have listened to many successive "evolutions" of George's FE boards and -IMHO- these mods are definitely well worth it. A lot of quite sensible improvements, on all the "parameters" of perceived SQ.

(*) it's gettin' such results which is not easy at all... but that's another story. Fortunately we have George for that. :D

Then why were they there to begin with? Because of the LM318?
in short, yes. Though there are many ways to skin a cat. Mauro himself did change those details several times, while keeping the LM318. The "Evo Rev.A" have been introduced by him here:

ARCHIVIO SCHEMI E PROGETTI AUDIO -> Evolution Revisione A.pdf

yes, the change of the main compensation cap (C32) value is required only for some OpAmps, among which OPA827.

The ADA4627 (one of the recommended types) will work just fine with exactly the same ("Evo Rev.A") compensation originally designed for the LM318.

(OTOH, yet some other - currently non recommended - OpAmp types may require even deeper changes to the compensation scheme to work in the circuit).

Yes, I am serious. Go back and look at the Howland Current Pump notes. These show the use of tighter tolerance resistors for the ratio setting AND they put in a low value trimmer to allow precise tuning of the RATIO. This is very important. [...]
yes, this would be quite important... should your goal be that of producing a true voltage controlled costant current source. That is, to obtain an output impedance as high as possible. But that is not the goal in this application!

Just to clarify this point, the aim of this modification is to replace the LM318 with a modern, higher performance part. Doing this results in a clear step forward in the sound. Linking out C9 is a side benefit that's worthwhile, but not as large an improvement as the main opamp substitution..
I would (partially) disagree here. Indeed, the OpAmp replacement was a goal in itself, and it constitutes a quite sensible improvement (both WRT measurements and perceived SQ).

Yet, IMO/IME, gettin' rid of C9 also provides a "huge" improvement in terms of SQ. YMMV.

Last edited:
George, how did you get on with the ADA4898? Is it stable, and how does it sound compared to the FET alternatives?
The 4898 could be yet another good option but, unfortunately, there are some drawbacks. First of all, to get best performances (surely in terms of SQ, and likely also in terms of measurements) you need to pair it with a very good (active) preamp or buffer. Which must have DC-coupled output, with no (very little) offset and very low output impedance (also at DC). That's the only way to keep a reasonable "balance" of the impedances seen by the two inputs of the OpAmp, allowing it to work at its best (and to avoid C9).

In terms of SQ, I have listened to the FE he have assembled with that OpAmp and I can tell that it (paired with his DCB1) does sound really well - that is, about as well as other boards using the 827 or 4627. But I am afraid that there have been no chance to do a direct comparison on the exact same hardware, thus it's not possible to tell precisely the differences.

The 4898 could be yet another good option but, unfortunately, there are some drawbacks. First of all, to get best performances (surely in terms of SQ, and likely also in terms of measurements) you need to pair it with a very good (active) preamp or buffer. Which must have DC-coupled output, with no (very little) offset and very low output impedance (also at DC). That's the only way to keep a reasonable "balance" of the impedances seen by the two inputs of the OpAmp, allowing it to work at its best (and to avoid C9).

In terms of SQ, I have listened to the FE he have assembled with that OpAmp and I can tell that it (paired with his DCB1) does sound really well - that is, about as well as other boards using the 827 or 4627. But I am afraid that there have been no chance to do a direct comparison on the exact same hardware, thus it's not possible to tell precisely the differences.

Thanks for the info! Perhaps i should be content with my ADA4627 then ...