My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial - Page 338 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial
My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2017, 03:27 PM   #3371
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanhill View Post
Looking at it that way, I don't disagree, but it's only a weakness for low sensitivity speakers and in the lowest two octaves. Most speakers 20 cm (8") or less are fine with the FE power output. .......
The highest current demands of a crossovered two (or more) speaker come when very fast changing transients occur.
During these fast stopping and/or fast starting moments the current demand can exceed three times that of a resistive load equal to the rated impedance.

Because it's fast transients that cause this increased current demand, it follows that it is not the lowest two octaves that are our problem.
Maximum current demand is probably in the top three octaves from 4kHz upwards.

Maximum sustained power is probably the concern in the bottom two octaves.
Old 22nd July 2017, 12:01 AM   #3372
lehmanhill is offline lehmanhill  United States
diyAudio Member

Andrew,

Interesting point. In those upper octaves, tweeters are often high sensitivity, so I will have to do some calculating on the current demand at 3x resistive load.

Jac
Old 22nd July 2017, 08:22 AM   #3373
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

It's not just the driver, it is the combination of a multi-component crossover and the multiple drivers that results in high current demand for fast changing transients.
Old 22nd July 2017, 08:55 AM   #3374
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

Talking about speakers, here in Diyaudio:

My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorialHide this!Advertise here!