diyAudio (
-   Chip Amps (
-   -   Wanted: 12vdc, 5-8 clean watts chip amp for 8ohm FR computer speakers (

makingmoney 10th April 2013 12:58 PM

Wanted: 12vdc, 5-8 clean watts chip amp for 8ohm FR computer speakers
This topic has probably been covered here. Any links?

Some simple amp that lets thru lots of details and music.

PS: 12vdc 2-4A wall wart
Chip Amp: 5-8 lowish distortion watts
Class: D, T, AB
Computer Speaker: 8ohm, full range Aurasound NS3-193-8A 3" Fullrange 2 liter box sealed.

FoMoCo 10th April 2013 01:12 PM

You won't get that power into 8 ohms without a bridged amp with a single 12V supply. A pair of LM383/TDA2002 bridged, if they still make those, will work. Also, any IC that is made for automotive head units should be sufficient.

Arty 10th April 2013 01:52 PM

tda1557q and its brothers and sisters.
just what you need.

AndrewT 10th April 2013 04:05 PM

a single amplifier running on a 12Vdc supply can output a maximum signal of ~4Vac. A 4Vac signal is 11.3Vpp. That peak to peak voltage must be less than the supply voltage.

4Vac into an 8r0 load is 3^2/8 = 2W
or 4W into 4r0
or 8W into 2r0
or 16W into 1r0

If you bridge any two of these amplifiers you will get double the power into double the impedance.
Choose two 8W into 2r0 amplifiers. As a bridged pair you can get 16W into 4r0.

sregor 10th April 2013 05:15 PM

Lots of bridged amps designed for the car industry. TDA7240A, if you can find it, is simplest. TDA1557Q mentioned earlier is good. As mentioned, must run bridged circuit to get any power. There already was a 12 volt thread - find it and get a lot of ideas. (maybe it should be a sticky, as topic comes up every once in a while....)YMMV

Mihkus 12th April 2013 01:12 PM

You better build self osc power supply
Super simple and use LM1876 or 2 LM1875 chips clean 10W for sure.
Sounds wonderful too those 12V single supply amps have very high THD im not kiddin mostly below 0,5 but damn that is noisy and the 12V PC supply AND SMPS AND if not fully shielded it will become EXTREMELY NOISY! damn!

Arty 12th April 2013 02:07 PM

the drivers in question are tiny 3" ones.
the tda1557q or any of its relatives will be able to power them.

I see no reason to build anything overcomplicated for this task.
I'd bet there will be no need to even utilise half of what those chips are able to do.

Tubelab_com 12th April 2013 02:31 PM

The TI TPA3112D1 is a single channel class D chip that will make 10 watts into 8 ohms from 12 volts. I plan to put one inside a guitar to feed a 4 inch Faital Pro speaker. It is $3.16 from Digikey.

The TPA3130D2DAP is stereo for $4.03.

I just ordered the TPA3112D2's and some TPA3116D2DAD's (the 3130's big brother) for a guitar enabled boom box. It will run from 22 volt LIPO batteries.

EWorkshop1708 13th April 2013 08:58 AM

AN7522 Will work nicely. I find them in old CRT TV sets to run the speakers.

I'm using one for my computer speakers now, using a 12V, 1A transformer-based AC Adaptor and pushing ~4ohms per channel. It is loud and has good Sound Quality!!!

bullpeters 16th April 2013 05:01 AM

Thats exactly the sort of thing i want for my sons guitar. I have routed a hole for a speaker, looking to put a 12v amplifier, but with lots of distortion :) he is only 10. power chords only

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2