Wanted: 12vdc, 5-8 clean watts chip amp for 8ohm FR computer speakers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Mihkus is offline Mihkus  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWorkshop1708 View Post
AN7522 Will work nicely. I find them in old CRT TV sets to run the speakers.

I'm using one for my computer speakers now, using a 12V, 1A transformer-based AC Adaptor and pushing ~4ohms per channel. It is loud and has good Sound Quality!!!
I got it too and still have it, one of my favorite chipamps!

Nicely 2W per channel but with 50% THD sounds pretty sweet at 1/2W or so.
Old 17th April 2013, 03:56 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihkus View Post
I got it too and still have it, one of my favorite chipamps!

Nicely 2W per channel but with 50% THD sounds pretty sweet at 1/2W or so.
Use a good setup, and you get more quality. The 470uf in the datasheet has it conservatively run to play in a TV. Also the (stock) heatsinking rating.

I use a bigger heatsink. Still gets a bit hot, but the heatsink is over 3X bigger than stock (original heatsink from TV).
I use 1uf poly capacitors for the input, and 2X 4700uf 25V Capacitors fed by a 33uh inductor on the + input. Despite the datasheet, I have been able to successfully drive 4 ohms with a 12V power supply that peaks with light load at 14.5V, but sags down to 11V. The chip lives.

For this guys project, it would be a simple way to have a loud amp either mono or stereo. If he really demands more power from 12V and just wants it good and loud and simple, I would have to recommend a version of a transformer amplifier instead of a chip amp. Zero Feedback Impedance Amplifiers
Old 17th April 2013, 05:04 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Location: Right next to beach, a potatoe toss to the whitewater
It's going in my sons guitar. Not to loud!!!!
Old 17th April 2013, 06:17 AM   #14
hpp3 is offline hpp3  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got a little chipamp I built in a computer power supply enclosure. The chip is a TDA1517P salvaged from an old ISA soundcard and is still quite common and can be gotten cheaply. 2 channels, 6 watts each from 14 volts with 0.1 THD at 1 watt (according to the data sheet).
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/TDA1517.pdf
Heat sinking is through the legs on one side if you get the DIP package, but I got cheap and used some copper wire as a twist-tie and secured a small heat sink on the top with some thermal gunk in between. Works great for computer amp duty.

Last edited by hpp3; 17th April 2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 17th April 2013, 06:41 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
A couple more chips to consider,
LM4950
TDA7350
Old 17th April 2013, 02:56 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's going in my sons guitar. Not to loud!!!!......looking to put a 12v amplifier, but with lots of distortion
I hope it's a solid body guitar, otherwise it will be all feedback. Back in the 1960's there was a solid body electric guitar with a built in amp and speaker in window of the local Lafayette Radio Electronics store. I used to go inside and play it every time I went there. It cost more than I could afford then, but I always wanted to make one. I think Mattel (the toy company) sold one in the 80's, and there have been others too.

Now 50+ years later I have started work on making one. At first I wanted to use a tiny tube amp, but all my efforts sucked the battery dry in less than an hour. I tried playing my guitar through one of those $20 Chinese digital HiFi amps and it didn't sound too bad, so I ordered the chips. I am currently making a test board for the TPA3112.

Hide this!Advertise here!