Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Super Cheap DVD players
Super Cheap DVD players
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2003, 10:23 AM   #1
Lars Clausen is offline Lars Clausen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Super Cheap DVD players

In Denmark we now have super cheap DVD players in every supermarket. Prices are around dkk 500,00 (80 US$) for one that can play DVD/CD/CDRW/MP3/DTS/DivX/5.1 ch. analog + digital out etc. (everything). Even a karaoke function with 2 microphone inputs ..

So i wondered if a machine like that could ever have potential as a hifi sound source.... I got one and took it apart.

To my great surpise i found that it contained the Wolfson Microelectronics WM8746 converter. It is a very good 24 bit 192 kHz converter. The analog stage was only one (SMD) opamp per 2 channels. So it was easy to upgrade, so after replacing the opamp to the LM6172 (about 5$) and the DC blocking caps to Black Gate NX Hi-Q now my analog stage was in good condition. I put in the LClock XO3 just to see how much sound can be squeezed out of an 80$ DVD player.

After waiting for like 30 seconds before the DVD player recognised that it had been fed a CD, the sound began to emerge. Amazing! Really good soundstage, deep and firm bass, and airy clear top. (First impressions).

Real fun project, and why spend 1000's on a high end CD player if you can live with the start delay, i think with a DVD like this you might be just as good off. Also probably even more tweaks can be done to it, and at this price, it is fun to play with.

Do you have these players in other countries out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scansonic1.jpg (29.4 KB, 5694 views)
Old 28th November 2003, 10:25 AM   #2
Lars Clausen is offline Lars Clausen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Just another pic from this player.
I replaced the DC blocing caps to Black Gate NX Hi-Q, and the opamp to LM6172. The red wire is power for the ref. Clock It all took a couple of hours..... really simple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scansonic2.jpg (31.5 KB, 5660 views)
Old 28th November 2003, 11:01 AM   #3
peranders is offline peranders  Sweden
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Super Cheap DVD players
Lars, in Sweden I have seen ads for 399 SEK! I wonder if we take away sales tax = 319 SEK. The store wants to earn something I suppose => 250 SEK, minus freight ? What's left?

250 SEK <=> 31 USD
Old 28th November 2003, 11:41 AM   #4
OliverD is offline OliverD  Germany
diyAudio Member

Lars, are those transistors to be seen in the second picture muting transistors? If yes, try removing them and putting in muting relais (shunting) instead. What about the power supply?

In Germany we have the same offers, I guess they are that cheap because they are based on computer DVD drive chipsets.

Btw, a shop pays sale tax only on the difference between buying and selling price
Old 28th November 2003, 01:22 PM   #5
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

How did the $80 player sound out of the box before adding a $300 LCaudio clock?
Old 28th November 2003, 02:14 PM   #6
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

Yea i have been looking at some cheap DVD players.As mainly a ME and not EE type i was wondering how the dig out converts to stereo sound as its a single plug?
thanks
ron
Old 28th November 2003, 02:56 PM   #7
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

It not only does stereo, it does 5 or more channels for home theather. Not being an EE I can only speculate that the information packets are labeled for what they are and where they should go and that the DAC system in the receiver knows how to handle that.
Old 28th November 2003, 03:04 PM   #8
peranders is offline peranders  Sweden
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Super Cheap DVD players
Quote:
Originally posted by AMT-freak

Btw, a shop pays sale tax only on the difference between buying and selling price
Not really, in reality (in Sweden anyway) only the end customer pays sales tax. Still how can they sell so cheap?
Old 28th November 2003, 03:14 PM   #9
Bas Horneman is offline Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I have a Cyberhome AD 528 which has
3 * Wolfson WM 8720 DAC's

It does some audio things very well...they can be had for 99 euro..thought about buying another one and tweak that....as Lars suggested.

Indeed how do they do it for the money..I guess they just want a presence in the market...
Old 28th November 2003, 06:06 PM   #10
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Why does it take them 30 seconds to recognise a CD? And are all brands the same that way?

We have these sort of DVD players in the UK for about 37UKP (53 Euro/63USD).

Super Cheap DVD playersHide this!Advertise here!