LM4780 : good choice for 3 way active speaker ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A 4ohm driver that is specified as 90dB/2.83V @ 1m is actually drawing 2W for that 90dB.
An 8ohm driver that is specified as 90dB/W @ 1m is also 90dB/2.83V @ 1m.

The 8ohm driver is delivering twice the volume for 1W as the 4ohm driver is when actually supplied with 1W = 2V i.e. 4ohm should be specified as 87dB/2V @ 1m to show true sensitivity to power input.

Andrew, the convention is mostly per 2.83V so we have a single yardstick. DCR for an 8 ohm driver is rarely more than 7 ohms in any case (if one can find an 8 ohm driver). And even then it's probably only actually 8 ohms in 3 places.

No, this convention works in a voltage driven world. The designers can decide on whether their amps an manage it (and how they are going to spec their power output.

On that basis every manufacturer that makes available both 4ohms and 8ohms drivers will show the 4ohm driver as twice as efficient. Balderdash.
No, the manufacturer will show the sensitivity in manner that allows the user to decide which he/she requires and select the power to be delivered to that choice of driver as appropriate.
It can only be done by comparing apples to apples, i.e. dB/W

No, not balderdash! It has been thus for at least 35 years. I suggest you go back and look at spec sheets from Seas, Vifa, Tang Band, Scan Speak and even KEF if you can find them. All set to 2.83V, precisely so you can compare apples with apples (being voltage driven devices powered by voltage amplifiers).

And yes the lower Z ones show up as more efficient, though rarely by 6 dB because the magnetic circuit is usually saturated.

A 4ohm driver that is specified as 90dB/2.83V @ 1m is actually drawing 2W for that 90dB.
An 8ohm driver that is specified as 90dB/W @ 1m is also 90dB/2.83V @ 1m.

The 8ohm driver is delivering twice the volume for 1W as the 4ohm driver is when actually supplied with 1W = 2V i.e. 4ohm should be specified as 87dB/2V @ 1m to show true sensitivity to power input.

Thanks, i didn't suspect that, but it makes sense.

Because we buy our equipment by power ratings.

The amplifier is power rated.
The speaker output is power rated.

If, as I have suggested a few times on this Forum, that we specify amplifiers by Vout into rated load, then it would make a lot of sense to use a voltage sensitivity.

But, that is not the way we specify amplifiers. We insist on using power ratings instead of voltage ratings.

While reading this I couldn't help but notice some similarities between Rick's plans and the 537 prototype I have been working on for some time now. The 537 consists of a fully discrete 3way subtractive filter, motional feedback correction, limiter and a 3886 trio with dc protection. The subtractive filter is based upon the 22AH587 Philips MFB enclosure. The whole project gets discussed over here , for those who's Dutch tends to be a little rusty, feel free to try the googleated version ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Component side

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Schematic

xover print w/ limiter & mfb correction.

Component side

Schematic

even the woofer looks similar be it this is an 8 inch driver

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.