Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2013, 04:40 PM   #21
danzz is offline danzz  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
anyone listen to it yet?
Yes, I bought one of those last year, dont expect much from it... I would rather go for this one Which its Just a little bit more expensive...
MKII TA2024

I have one in the post... I hope it arrives next week, so I can finish some Bluetooth speakers...
Old 15th March 2013, 09:07 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default Even better.

[QUOTE=danzz;3412261]Yes, I bought one of those last year, dont expect much from it... I would rather go for this one Which its Just a little bit more expensive...
MKII TA2024

As Homer Simpson would say: "Duh-oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I didn't see this one. Maybe I'll try it also.

Mark
Old 15th March 2013, 09:19 PM   #23
Banned

Why is this thread still in the class d forum ?
Old 15th March 2013, 09:57 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Because someone put a link to a TA2024 amp!!!

6 bucks w free shipping??? How do they do it???

Duc
Old 16th March 2013, 10:52 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

WHO CARES whether this or that amp is a Class D or a Chip Amp or whether this is "only" X percent efficient? Or whether it has GOT to be trash since the white paper doesn't show this or that certain specification. And if the post should fall into a certain category under a forum?

Several of you guys have got the point that the two amps pointed out here are less than a so-called "lunch" at a fast food joint.

As for the others, like so often on forums, they seem to be dwelling on minutiae and proving how "smart" they are. OK fine, you are smarter than I. Happy now?

Get over yourselves, build something or at least assemble it. And HAVE FUN!

If the moderator wants to move it, fine. I could care less. And I could also care less if you think I'm stupid because I don't know the difference.

The rest of you guys who "get it" no doubt peruse both chip amp and class D sections anyway. I appreciate the gent who posted about the other six buck amp and X who pointed out the interesting NPR thing about the bees.

It's called a discussion forum for a reason.

It's not a soapbox for the intellectually "superior" to lord over the rest of us.

Mark
Old 16th March 2013, 11:09 AM   #26
Sin Bin

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Even though its only a very cheap chipamp, probably the limit on the SQ isn't the chip, it'll be the power supply. Get a seriously stiff psu (particularly at HF) applied to it and you might be surprised how good a cheap chip can get. A single 'lytic cap won't let it really sing.
Old 16th March 2013, 11:17 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hi Abrax,

Now, as I recall the little amp I purchased is to have a 12VDC supply.

Can you school me on amperage? The more the better? Or, exactly how do I choose the amp rating of the power supply.

I think I'm going to order that other 2024 based amp too -- just for fun.

Mark
Old 16th March 2013, 11:22 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

I have a similar chip amp (lower Pout, but from the same family) powered by an over-sized linear supply and it sounds surprisingly good. I mentioned a thread move only to aid getting the word out to the chip amp junkies. This thing makes the Lepai LP-2020 look like an extravagance, and probably rivals the performance.
Old 16th March 2013, 11:27 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
I have a similar chip amp (lower Pout, but from the same family) powered by an over-sized linear supply and it sounds surprisingly good. I mentioned a thread move only to aid getting the word out to the chip amp junkies. This thing makes the Lepai LP-2020 look like an extravagance, and probably rivals the performance.

Now Sofaspud,

When you say linear power supply do you mean what I'll call (for lack of my understanding) a "conventional" power supply. Like CLC or CRC? As in -- not a switch mode/computer type power supply?

Mark
Old 16th March 2013, 11:32 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

The reason I stress that efficiency is 4 times worse than a comparable class D amp is that many of such amps are sold for the 12V portable market. And here it will have a huge impact on battery life is it's one or the other type. So the $6 amp here could very fast end up costing much more than a $20 class D amp because you need a 4 times larger battery to get the same run time.

Btw, here a big meal at McD/BK is $15. Lots of even rather good class D amps fall into the "less than a fast food meal" category.

Hide this!Advertise here!