What the heck? It's less than lunch!

It seems odd to me that all the Tripath products would be NOS from 5+ years ago.
According to Wikipedia, Cirrus Logic bought Tripath in 2007. The same year the former VP of Cirrus' Mixed Signal Audio division became CEO.
Other sites report that Tripath Technology was merged with Etelos in 2008.
I don't know what is correct, but I would guess that the Tripath chips are still in production at an Asian fab.

No idea who holds the rights at the moment but original Tripath chips are still being produced in Korea. And counterfeits (or could be licensed but they are inferior) chips are still being produced in China.
Thanks! That's an excellent clue. So that's why my bargain ebay TA2020 board was lackluster sounding and MUCH Less power than expected. It had the big good quality inductors and didn't hurt my ears like most class D; but that was only one thing on a very long list of what it didn't do. It also wasn't very efficient. Certainly at low volume playback it was probably more efficient than Class aB, but definitely the China made TA2020 was less efficient than a Philips aB car chip when up near full blast. Well, at near full blast, I'd expect "similar" but I'd never have expected a Class D to be beaten by a linear. And it was. So that was a weird mystery. Next time I want a Tripath, I'll try to find the Korean made version. Thanks for solving the mystery!

P.S. Still awaiting the TDA7297. I wonder if it is efficient like the Philips? I got the TDA7297 like the first thread, with the Lilliput heatsink, so I'll be finding out something about the efficiency. If it runs cool, I'll try it on battery.

Last edited:
For the TDA7297? A whole bench? Howabout a music collection and a fun little speaker project? Also, laptop based measurement and a hard drive packed full of tunes. The "something to do" could be updating that music collection with lots of exploring and listening...
There was a little smiley face I included with that statement. The little bugger hasn't even arrived yet. No I won't need my whole bench, but I'm already working on minor issues with two other amp projects I brought to my home-away-from-home. Even that is proving somewhat difficult without all my tools readily available. But I get your point.

BTW, speaking of laptop based measuring hardware/software. Can you recommend something for a novice that won't break the bank that would allow for general measurement of an amp. Seems like I should have a tool like that in my bag of tricks if I continue to take on these amp projects.

Rick

You might see if your laptop's sound driver has auto connector sense or manual so that you can switch the mic port to line in port.

And the measurement software is free: Download. Audio Rightmark
See also the documents on sorting out the source devices--an excellent head start.

I can't remember how to make the bridge amp to line level adapter though.

P.S.
I'm also at "home away from home" and have a 1980's analog multimeter and a patched up soldering iron. Just about done with making a nice new power supply though.

Hooked mine up today and am pleasantly surprised I must say. Sounds quite good. I am using my foam core TB W3-881 specials. So my quest for cheep decent sound is going well. For about $30.00 for everything but the source, I have a system that rocks rather nicely. Should spiff it up a bit with some paint for the speakers an a box for the amp so add another $5.00, not too shabby.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hooked mine up today and am pleasantly surprised I must say. Sounds quite good. I am using my foam core TB W3-881 specials. So my quest for cheep decent sound is going well. For about $30.00 for everything but the source, I have a system that rocks rather nicely. Should spiff it up a bit with some paint for the speakers an a box for the amp so add another $5.00, not too shabby.

Do you have photos of the FC 881si speakers? If you are interested in an 881si that will rock loud, check out the latest plans for a quad driver MLTL in the Accidental MLTL thread in full range.

I took delivery of my TDA7297F this morning and connectd it to my speakers, it looks ridiculous but the little amp drives them easily.
http://s20.postimg.org/khob7zsot/7297f2.jpg
I have been auditioning this little amp for 3 days and I love it, with my 40+ year old old monkey coffins the sound is pretty amazing, it beats out the Tripath TA2020+, which I have several of. The bass is the winner for me, just magic.

Kudos to ST!
That TDA7297 is really competitive.
I just got mine and it easily beat the Tripath on audio quality.
Both were used with a linear regulated power source for nice fresh sound.
Same power source, same speakers, same audio source, same cables, and TDA7297 wins.

In head to head comparison with one of my other amplifiers, the TDA7297 competed nicely but did not win that contest. However, I'm sure that the TDA7297 could easily surpass the performance of gimmick energy saver amplifiers, gainclone kits, lower cost tube amplifiers and retail amplifiers as well. Therefore, it would be good to have one of these inexpensive TDA7297 amplifiers around for comparison purposes.

P.S.
See that wire jumper? I have not tried this; but, for high-end virtual dual mono, it appears possible to use one 24v supply, running Two 15v linear regulators, instead of that wire jumper. I have also not tried LightSpeed Attenuator with TDA7297; but, they do appear to be compatible.

Kudos to ST!
That TDA7297 is really competitive.
I just got mine and it easily beat the Tripath on audio quality.
Both were used with a linear regulated power source for nice fresh sound.
Same power source, same speakers, same audio source, same cables, and TDA7297 wins.

In head to head comparison with one of my other amplifiers, the TDA7297 competed nicely but did not win that contest. However, I'm sure that the TDA7297 could easily surpass the performance of gimmick energy saver amplifiers, gainclone kits, lower cost tube amplifiers and retail amplifiers as well. Therefore, it would be good to have one of these inexpensive TDA7297 amplifiers around for comparison purposes.

P.S.
See that wire jumper? I have not tried this; but, for high-end virtual dual mono, it appears possible to use one 24v supply, running Two 15v linear regulators, instead of that wire jumper. I have also not tried LightSpeed Attenuator with TDA7297; but, they do appear to be compatible.

Just keep in mind this is a old linear class AB amplifier chip and NOT class d as many think.

P.S.

I don't see a jumper wire on my board:confused: Maybe there are different versions.
The performance of this little amp continues to astonish me, so much so I've given it a nice linear supply regulated at 15V.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Anyone want a TA2024 board ? ;)

Cheers,
Steve

I have been auditioning this little amp for 3 days and I love it, with my 40+ year old old monkey coffins the sound is pretty amazing, it beats out the Tripath TA2020+, which I have several of. The bass is the winner for me, just magic.
radiosmuck - Is it correct to assume you have not made any mods and running it 'stock' as delivered? What 'old school' speakers are those? Those clearly date themselves back to the 60's maybe even the 50's. :) I haven't received my 7297s yet, but will be curious how they compare to some other amps I've built lately.

Rick

I don't see a jumper wire on my board:confused: Maybe there are different versions.
The performance of this little amp continues to astonish me, so much so I've given it a nice linear supply regulated at 15V.
Anyone want a TA2024 board ? ;)
Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve! Do you need some more spare TA2024 or TA2020 boards? lolz! Anyway, the jumper for TDA7297 is, according to the datasheet, from pin13 to pin3. I cannot guess if it is leftsy, rightsy power or if it is front end section vs output section power. SO, you could do either regulated front end or virtual dual mono. I don't know which feature the chip is pinned for, but it does have one of those features.

Last edited:
I am liking this $6 amp too. It is in a $2 enclosure with $2 worth of speakers. I hope it sounds as good on the $4 PSU I am waiting for as it does on bench power. Counting a jack or two I have yet to install the whole project will come in well under $20.

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 911
radiosmuck - Is it correct to assume you have not made any mods and running it 'stock' as delivered? What 'old school' speakers are those? Those clearly date themselves back to the 60's maybe even the 50's. :) I haven't received my 7297s yet, but will be curious how they compare to some other amps I've built lately.

Rick
Rick
I started off with a Lepai 2020a+ which I liked and then purchased a SML SA-S1 because it looked nicer. After that a Sure STA508 board followed by a Muse bridged 50w TPA3123D and now the tda7297.
These amps are so cheap and easy to buy, I'm addicted.
No, I have not done any modding.
My old speakers are Tannoy Yorks from the 60's, ugly as hell but sound so sweet. My wife has always hated them and I promised her that I would sell them and take her on a trip but since discovering these little amps and how well they audition with the speakers, I'm having second thoughts, for now.
Terry