Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

What the heck?  It's less than lunch!
What the heck?  It's less than lunch!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2018, 12:08 PM   #1221
jwicaksana is offline jwicaksana  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
I am not convinced that China items will do significantly worse than non-China items. After all, where are the wafer houses, used by well known brand owners, located? This is no high tech item.

Anyway, why not give it two ordinary 5A diodes in series and a 2200uF for decoupling when using 19V?
Hey I missed your suggestion about the diodes in series. Can you explain how to install them, maybe link to a schematic? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti View Post
Use a simple rectifier diode and a cap (D-C). A diode will drop the 19V a bit (up to 1V under load), and a big cap will add cohones and better peceived "detail"; whatever this means to you. (I use this approach myself).

I would also say that using a couple low-ESR caps in parallel works better than one large one. My suggestion is 2x 10.000uf + 1x 4700uF, all rated 25V.

But first you must be sure that your laptop PSU handles all this capacitance without hiccups at power-up! IF IT DOES NOT; your best option is imho using a "slow starting" capacitance multiplier, but with a darlington transistor - NOT a mosfet. Try a BDX53.
If my PSU is 19V 3.42A, how many uF do I need? I read something like 2200uF per ampere, minimum. What do you guys use? I know Destroyer OS suggested multiple 1000-1500uF for lowest ESR. I paralleled 6x1000uF after the IRF540 but this time I'd like to try without the MOSFET multiplier.

Last edited by jwicaksana; 2nd June 2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:40 PM   #1222
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Trivial drop of voltage across one or more series coupled diodes:
Diodes To Drop Voltage | Electronics Forum (Circuits, Projects and Microcontrollers) (first posting),
You only need two diodes in series to be below the specified 18V.
On the output you put a good electrolytic capacitor. Minimum of 2200uF but preferably 4700uF-10000uF. The size depends on how much capacitance you have on the input of the diodes to "re-fill" the capacitor at the output of the diodes.
Old 3rd June 2018, 02:21 PM   #1223
diyAudio Member

Okay before I continue to ramble on about my new project, this is what I have currently playing.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 3rd June 2018, 02:22 PM   #1224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
Trivial drop of voltage across one or more series coupled diodes:
Diodes To Drop Voltage | Electronics Forum (Circuits, Projects and Microcontrollers) (first posting),
You only need two diodes in series to be below the specified 18V.
On the output you put a good electrolytic capacitor. Minimum of 2200uF but preferably 4700uF-10000uF. The size depends on how much capacitance you have on the input of the diodes to "re-fill" the capacitor at the output of the diodes.
Thank you my friend. If my SMPS is 3.42A, is it safe to use 2xMUR460 in series with the positive voltage?
Old 3rd June 2018, 03:41 PM   #1225
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Jonathan,
The MUR460 is a 4A diode. Your TDA7297 current consumption will be dynamic (less that the max. current in average). The MUR460 should be fine if you mount them above the PCB with long leads (like in vintage Japanese amplifiers) such that they are better cooled.

What the heck?  It's less than lunch!Hide this!Advertise here!