Kindly suggest Hi Fi Sound chip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can't say discrete is better; it depends on the particular circuit.

I think there's a learning curve you can't get around, which means that my first discrete amplifier will sound crappier than any IC amplifier I've assembled. Nevertheless, that first discrete semi-crap thing is a necessary stepping stone...

a well designed discrete amplifier will "outperform" a well design IC amp
in Quality, sound and in reliability.;)

Yes, 'well designed' means paying lots of attention to the PSRR and also to the IMD performance at low level, two areas where (for example) LM3886 sucks. Read the datasheet carefully to discover that LM3886's negative rail PSRR for a typical amp is under 30dB at 20kHz. If implementing LM3886, do what KSTR does and reference the input signal ground directly to the -ve rail to improve matters substantially. Discrete does give the very valuable ability to have filtering on the supplies to the signal stages rather than pollute them with all the HF hash that gets generated on the supplies by the output stage.

<edit> @picbuck - yes indeed, but getting a seriously good power supply (low impedance beyond 20kHz) is a herculean task :D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.