Y'all will love this! / All chipamps on one table!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, I think that I am allso affected with the artificial, by you called, hifi-sound. But the thing is, I think the sound like I heard at your place wasn't natural eigther.

That depends on the amp, speakers, which combination do you think was most/less natural? For me the JM Reynaud on the 47Labs sound more natural than anything I've heard from a system, ever, but everything is limited by the recording, on a good recording (especially vinyl) there's nothing artificial I can detect, we should do that next time.

Although I'm a dealer for 47Labs and the other stuff, I'd like to post my impressions too:

JLTi: harmonically rich sounding, midrange somewhat recessed compared to the Shigaraki (or the Shigarki was more 'midrangy'), the JLTi sounded like a Shigaraki with bit of loudness. The sound seemed somewhat more focussed than Shigaraki although with less speed and dynamics. (One listener (not in this panel) found the Shigaraki more tube-like than the tubed JLTi!).
The bass was a bit more wooly, a bit less controlled (I seem to disagree with Fedde on this one), it had less speed and slam than the Shigaraki. Overall I like it very much (except for the casing).

AMP-1: not as tonally rich as the other two, tonally a bit dull/flat with some SS "greyness" in the sound (the others were capable of exposing more of all natural colors of voices and instruments). However still a very good amp, much better than most SS amps and most Gainclones I've heard. Build quality is very good, personally I don't like the styling with golden knobs etc. (and Peter's first one is soooo beautiful and original). What I really hate is the double volume, with so many steps and without indications it's difficult to see when both knobs are equal.

Shigaraki: harmonically rich, slightly smoother, more relaxed than the JLTi and AMP-1 but with greater speed and dynamics, I really like this combination of 'softness' and speed, it makes the music 'alive' (organic, natural, tangible). I suspect the smooth/softness is a lack of distortion, stress, edgyness, because it wasn't less detailed at all, I thought the natural textures of the tones came out even better, leaving the music more untouched.
Soundstaging was less wide than the other two but deepest (according to me wider soundstage means more phase differences between left and right channel, if you want wider soundstage you should position your speakers differently).

The 6moons reviewer did some comparisons of Shigaraki vs. AMP-1 but he didn't have them side by side, which explains to me why these comparisons are not correct, and that's not a matter of taste but can be verified. Of course I'm not objective, but I know for sure he isn't too.

Nice to see you on the forum Wilco!

Comparing the Jlti and the Shigaraki was hard seen the short listening time and the relatively small difference. I had the feeling both amps had stronger and weaker points. Regarding the speed; you showed a track where the bass of the Shigaraki was indeed faster. Though in some cases the Jlti sounded more controlled and focused IMO. But again, I need more time for a more accurate opinion...

Fedde

Not that I am trying to defend my somewhat "different" point of view:

For little combo's I preferred the Shigaraki to most things I've heard so far even with the previously mentioned problems. I think there is a lot of potention if matched with the right speaker. Haberth sounded somewhat dull, I think it is better matched with other amps (tube PP...?). The 47 Labs were much nicer, althoug your room was far to big for them :). Maybe some dual concentric Tannoy's???

I will give it another try if I have some euri to spent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.