3 Ohm amplifier - Newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to make a very simple amplifier for a 3 Ohm speakers, I'm upgrading my home cinema to Blu Ray but no single unit Blu Ray player is sold with a home cinema amplifier built in and no home cinema amplifier is rated below 4 Ohms. So rather than immediately buying a whole new surround sound system I though I'd first see if i could DIY it, So i came here :)
I'm guessing it would be chip related so i posted this here, if i'm in the wrong place please redirect me.
I have made simple guitar amps before but i'm not 100% about this kinda stuff so go easy on me!!

Thanks in advance

Gareth

Ok thanks, can you suggest any particularly good chips?? Well in the spec it doesn't say what wattage the speakers can handle but it does say each output is 140 W, which to me sounds very wrong... Consisting I can pretty much blow the windows out with my 100W guitar amp!!! Here's the manual for anyone who can shed a little light on what wattage the speakers are :) http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3283036113.pdf the spec is on page 90. That's so far I'll get researching chips :)

Gareth

Fine as a beginning.

1) just curious, how come you have the speakers but not the original amplifiers?

2) do you have all 6 of them?

3) the manual is confusing, (probably on purpose) but it *seems* to have 6 x 140W amplifiers. Weird.

4) the speakers *seem* to handle that power, although quite probably the driving amps have limiters set to, say, 40 to 60W.

5) if you really need to build a 6 channel amp, each one can be run by an LM3886, with somewhat reduced PSU voltage as correctly suggested by Johnr66 , for some 40W per channel. Very respectable and about the same as the original system.

6) *or* for a lower power (but maybe still enough) system, about 6 to 8W per channel, you can use 6 x TDA2003, which are *happy* driving down to 2 ohms loads all day long.
What sofaspud said.

7) last but not least: 100W of distorted guitar through efficient guitar speakers is more than a match for a system driving very inefficient and small 2.5" speakers (and 1 one lonely 7 inch woofer).

Fine as a beginning.

1) just curious, how come you have the speakers but not the original amplifiers?

2) do you have all 6 of them?

3) the manual is confusing, (probably on purpose) but it *seems* to have 6 x 140W amplifiers. Weird.

4) the speakers *seem* to handle that power, although quite probably the driving amps have limiters set to, say, 40 to 60W.

5) if you really need to build a 6 channel amp, each one can be run by an LM3886, with somewhat reduced PSU voltage as correctly suggested by Johnr66 , for some 40W per channel. Very respectable and about the same as the original system.

6) *or* for a lower power (but maybe still enough) system, about 6 to 8W per channel, you can use 6 x TDA2003, which are *happy* driving down to 2 ohms loads all day long.
What sofaspud said.

7) last but not least: 100W of distorted guitar through efficient guitar speakers is more than a match for a system driving very inefficient and small 2.5" speakers (and 1 one lonely 7 inch woofer).

1) I have the amplifiers, but they are in the DVD player. I want to upgrade to a Blu Ray player which won't have amplifiers in it, so i will need something to amplify the outputs.

2)I have all 6 speakers, if that's what you're asking. The amps are hidden inside my DVD player which I'm upgrading.

3)Yes I was somewhat confused as that is thee only conclusion i could come to...

4)To be honest I'm not after the loudest system on the planet...

5)Ok so what kind of PSU voltage are we looking at?

6)Yea i'll probably go for this option as i'm not looking for a very powerful system. something like this do? 8W TDA2003 /TDA2002 Monophonic Power Amplifier Kit New | eBay

Although I will probably end up making it myself, it's much more fun that way :up:

7)I understand that I was just saying how I thought they sounded a little overpowered.

Thanks for that help :)

Gareth

People get angry at me for no helping people so i would give it a go:
You can hook up you bluray player output to the amp without any internal modification

And wait if you want to build your own power amp you will need 40w or so for subwoofer is sattelites are 10w each,for wich i sugest an tda1562q and for sattleties still use tda 2003 ot tda 1517, the 2003 is very warm sounding i have a kit i tried building a few but that didnt work out since nothing works for me since im unlucky an pessimistic

Last edited:
Dear GAFAAAAA , with the best intentions, before taking advice from PETRUV, first check who are you dealing with.
And what mess you can get into, just by slightly displeasing him.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/227052-lm1875-fizzing-away-probelm-22.html
If you dare, read the full thread, from the beginning, also checking the "engineering level".

Back to your problem, since you already have a system perfectly adapted to your speakers, try to use it as much as possible.
I'm specially worried at the non standard speaker connectors (obviously meant to keep you "tied" to their system.
How will you connect your present speakers to "something else"?
I'll check the manual, maybe besides the "regular" stereo RCA in, it has some direct digital or something input which allows for external input which later is decoded to 5.1 or something.
Not exactly my area.
Absolute worst case, listening 2:1 with properly matched and loud speakers and amps is not that bad.
Is it?

Read your Sony user manual.
I think some of the digital input options shown in page 15 will allow you to connect your new BluRayplayer into your Sony system and enjoy full 5.1 .
At least it seems to be doable if you connect a modern TV there, so .....

If you are itching to breath some solder fumes, fine with me, do it for fun as a side project, not under the pressure of "I build this *now* or I won't watch BluRay disks" or something.
Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.