Help! Considering building a tube amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2013, 09:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KMossman Send a message via Skype™ to KMossman
Can I get strawberry sauce on mine?
Old 1st February 2013, 11:14 PM   #12
Bando is offline Bando  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ok guys, yes a battery can still be dangerous.

I just thought that with tubes being exposed, being very hot and having high voltage wasn't that great of an idea with small children around.

I have touched a car battery with both hands on the terminals and nothing has happened. From what I remember from school you cant even feel electricity until 40 or so volts.

I get it, no matter what is used you have to be careful. I just wanted something that sounds fanastic that can live in a room and not be brittle or overtly dangerous. Since my toddler loves throwing things and I am sure that kids will be kids even when there older I want something that can stand some abuse.

If I cannot have decent sound and an amp that is more rugged than I won't build an amp.
Old 1st February 2013, 11:44 PM   #13
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Don't be discouraged. Any amplifier design can be built safely, be it SS or tubes. The tubes don't have to be exposed. It can be put on a PCB and everything will be inside the chassis. Tubes don't really get that hot. In the old days, people used candles and kerosene lamps and had 10 kids, and they somehow managed. So don't be discouraged.
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:38 AM   #14
Bando is offline Bando  Canada
diyAudio Member

I did not now tubes could be enclosed, I thought they had to be exposed to breathe.

I am gathering it is execution on the part of the builder rather than circuit design or voltages that plays the biggest part in safety.
Old 2nd February 2013, 02:21 AM   #15
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Right, there are a lot of famous tube amps with the tubes enclosed. If you include guitar amps, then most tube amps actually you can't even see any tubes.
Old 2nd February 2013, 04:12 PM   #16
johnr66 is offline johnr66  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually low voltage DC can injure you, not by shock, but by electrolysis damage to your cells. You have to be in contact for a while, but keep that in mind when working around it.

My only issue with tubes is that the cost of quality parts can get downright costly. Look at the output transformers. You need two for stereo. If you're starting out, IC amps are simple and cheap. Just be sure to get authentic parts.

Hide this!Advertise here!