Why no 2.1 Tripath boards?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 2x25W @ 4 Ohm TPA3123 Class-D Audio Amplifier Board
Well, this Amazon listing does not mention 2.1, but the third reviewer does say the product he got in the mail was 2.1. The first reviewer ruined his pants over it!
(actually that's the only reason why i included this link:)

But the Ebay search does indeed list this as a 2.1 chan board...
Finished Board New TPA3123 2 1 Digital Power Amplifier Board Subwoofer Output | eBay

They use the TPA3123.... a "Texas Instruments Tripath style of chip". Whatever is meant by that. What is meant by that?

I'm still curious about the Tripath chip amps. As I show in links below, there are plenty of 2.1 chip amps based on older or alternative style chips. I found all of the below links on one ebay site. But of the literally hundreds of Tripath amp boards available on the web based on the ta2020 ta2021 ta2022 ta2024 ta2050 ta3020 not a single one is 2.1. What explains that?

And I might be way behind the learning curve on Tripath, but I just read this on another forum

"With Cirrus Logic owning/licensing the Tripath technology, is anyone aware of alternatives to the Tripath branded TA2050's? I'm aware that ST Micro has an equivalent for the TP2050, with the model STA505 chip. I don't know of an alternate TC2000/TC2001 controller though. "

So are some of the amps below (all 25 dollars or less) Cirrus Logic, or Texas Instruments, or other manufacturer Tripath "style" amps?

Assembled 2.1 Channels LM1875 NE5532 Audio Power Amplifier Board 25Wx2+50W(Sub)-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

Super mini fever 2.1 digital amplifier board (DC12V power)-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

Free shipping Finished board for DIY Kits subwoofer 2.1 TDA7377 power amplifier 3 Channel power ampNE5532 pre amp-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

New TDA2030A 18W+18W+36W 2.1 AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER KIT For DIY +free shipping !-in Speakers from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

5 pcs/lot 15V 27V TDA8920 Amp Module Power AmplifierOCL Dual chanel 80W*2 BTL Mono160W DIY Kit Connect Subwoofer For 2.1 #090164-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com
(five piece minimum, but in the ballpark pricewise)

Freeshipping F721A 2.1 Channel NE5532 Preamp Board With Tone Regulator Function-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com
(preamp board... could be paired with any inexpensive T-amp board?)

2.1 STA540 subwoofer 3 Channel power amplifier DIY Kits NE5532 pre amp Free shipping-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com
(preamp board... could be paired with any inexpensive T-amp board?)

There was only one "true" 2.1 Tripath amp based on the TA2050 chip. It may even have some value beyond mere amplification as an objet d'art. But the accompanying image leaves me suspicious of its provenance.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Fp4OdenWoxc/TAP_lFtA5cI/AAAAAAAAARI/fY6Sh_fulFY/s1600/dave%27s+inspiration.jpg

Bottom line here...... can anyone suggest the best value among the <25 dollar 2.1 amps/preamps listed above? Is it pretty clearly the first one listed....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-bo...mplifier-board-subwoofer-output-/251210310744

Last edited:
wow thats some list. any of these have a built in x/o? (low and high pass)

Don't they all? I know very little about amplifiers, but doesn't 2.1 suggest a built in x/o? The only one of those listed that gives any clear idea of the crossover frequency between mains and sub is the preamp
Freeshipping F721A 2.1 Channel NE5532 Preamp Board With Tone Regulator Function-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

"LOW PASS crossover point, the upper frequency is adjustable 50-150Hz"

The others listed have a set crossover point and sub level pots that adjust volume not crossover freq?

Last edited:
Thats good to know, is the x/o fixed and at what frequency?

On this board it is fixed, right now I have no idea of where it is crossed over or how. Going by my ear I would say close to 100hz and possibly lower as I only heard the kick drum and some low bass guitar out of the sub.
I was just making sure the amp worked before I installed it in a box. I did learn 1 thing, a 4 ohm woofer on bridged TDA2030 will short quickly.
(have to replace those 2 chips today)
I'm hoping to get the amp in a proper box next weekend and then I'll hook my audio tools and see what is what.
The PCB is 2 layers I will try to get a picture of the 2 layers.

the seller I bought mine from had no clue. I was asking about the power supply, finally hooked up a 12.6-0-12.6 2amp radio shack.
I spent the day testing power transformers. Naturally I have all of the wrong kinds :^(

It may be 160hz, I burnt the low end chips up using a 4 ohm 15" sub, it was working fine till I decided to crank it all the way up, then the sub started motor boating and before I could turn it down the chips fried. Oh well lesson learned.

This can be used as 2.1, no crossover though.
Aliexpress.com : Buy 4CHANNEL CLASS D +SMPS 400W PRO AUDIO AMPLIFIER MODULE ,4CH OR2CH OR 2.1CH SET EASILY from Reliable 4CHANNEL CLASS D SMPS PROAMPLIFIER MODULE suppliers on Amplifier store

Or, two of these for more power.
Aliexpress.com : Buy TAS5630 AND SMPS AII IN ONE BOARD from Reliable tas5630 suppliers on Amplifier store

But that’s sidetracking the topic. I also have searched for what the threads tittle desires, and in particular for a 12 volt solution. And as far as i understand, there is no 35 to 50watt class D/T from 12volt(capable of 4 ohm). I wish somebody could prove this wrong!!!!!

There is one thing though, but power is limited at 12v with out going to 2ohm. That is the TAA4100A chip. 41hz does a DIY board.
http://shop.41hz.com/shop/item.asp?catid=42&itemid=796

2.1 solutions are something I have always been interested in. And there is not a lot of options available when it come to all in one including crossover that are descent for cheap.

Last edited:
One solution worth noting is the combination of a miniDSP and miniAMP. You can run them stacked configured as either 2x20w, 4x10w or 2x10w+1x20w. You also get a tremendous amount of power to configure crossovers and other DSP functions. The cost is far higher than all the Ebay amps being looked at in this thread BUT the results and flexibility will benefit immensely. If the 40w miniAMP is not sufficient a 4x100 TK2050 amp could be used instead. The sub could run off of just one of the channels.

KM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.