STK4044 Power up. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2013, 07:12 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Really? The negative speaker lead will connect to my ground between the capacitors and resistors? Got it. My rail voltages dropped to 29vdc when I turned up the volume. That was going to two two way speakers. I have it in my system now running from an active crossover, driving one dynaudio 6" per module. Plenty of power no drop in voltage. I found a bigger transformer with 30-0-30 it was on a 6 amp fuse. Tomorrow, I want to try to run my second pair of modules so that I have stereo bi-amp. I also found some 8200uF 50 Volt capacitors. Would they be better in the power supply than the 6800uF? I would like also in the near future to connect something such that I don't hear they power up and turning off.
If I didn't say it clear enough. THANKS!!! I am hearing transparency, detail, piano keys drift into oblivion instead of falling off a cliff. This setup blows away the Blue sky system ones that I paid dearly for as well as any other under $2000 near fields. I borrowed 4 channel car amp that my friend purchased for over $500 and it was not remotely close in terms of quality. I must say that my little old Orion car amp is handling the D28/2 well for now but ultimately want to get out of cheating by using Car amplifiers. I am just very excited about this amp you helped me to create.
Old 9th February 2013, 08:15 AM   #12
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

When it comes to grounding remember to think of each conductor be it wire or PCB print as a resistance. Ask yourself if the current flowing in that line can cause a problem if something else connects along its length.

This might give you some insight. Its a wandery thread but should help. Jump in at post #14 and 38

3 stage LIN topology - NFB tappings?

The difference in real terms between 6800 and 8200uf is minimal and either should be fine. Going too large can bring its own problems too. The bigger the caps, the larger the charging pulses but over a shorter time. Remember the bridge rectifier conducts only at the "tips" of the AC voltage when the peak AC voltage exceeds the charge on the caps. Bigger caps droop less between each cycle but to put that energy back requires more current over less time. Small caps cause the bridge to conduct for longer (because the voltage on the cap has fallen more between cycles) but the peak current is less.
High currents increase "copper losses" in the transformer and can cause saturation and excess temperatures.

So in practice anything from around 3300uf to say 10,000 uf would be good.

For switch on thumps you need a simple reliable relay delay, something like this.
Simple Universal Speaker Delay Using A Triac

There are some video clips of it working in post #24

Hide this!Advertise here!