LM3886 or TDA7294 in my gainclone amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unfortunately I don't have experience with the amplifier IC's you mentioned. In the past I have assembled a breadboard amplifier circuit using TDA7295 IC and was quite satisfied with its performance.

I followed the schematic found from the chip's datasheet and used supply voltage of ±24 VDC. The IC only had a small heatsink, so I didn't attempt getting lots of power output from it.

Maybe you could also consider this amplifier IC.

Attachments

• TDA7295_.png
    TDA7295_.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,128
I built several amps both with LM and TDA chips and from my experience TDA gives somewhat tube-like sound while LM is a little cleaner (different distortion distribution ?). You wont make a mistake wheather you take LM or TDA for your amp as both are excellent.

I don't know what is level of your experience with making amps, but when was starting with these chips I never burned even one LM3886 no matter what mistakes I made, and I burned several TDA's while turning them on for the first time. On TDA if you for example forget to connect one supply lead and turn it on it will literally explode (pic in my avatar)... which won't happen with LM3886 but once you get them to work, they work well. I still prefer them over LM3886.

So my advice is, for more analytic sound and simpler build go for LM3886. I think they are cheaper as well. If you need to drive lower impedance (easy paralleling of chips), need to use higher supply voltage, and like warmer sound,, go for TDA's.

BR

I've built one TDA7294 amplifier before, but I've had problems with a "krrrrr" noise when the IC is becoming hot, and I play at high volume. The hotter the IC is, the lower volume the noise appears. I connected the the positive and negative leads wrong once, and I burned off some circuits on my PCB and the TDA7294 blew.
But about the noise, is that a common thing with the TDA7294?

My speaker system is a 2.1 system, with SEAS speakers (Norwegian quality ;) ).
I've been looking at several amps, but I found this prebuild amp on ebay.
What do you think about this. LM3886 for midrange and tweeters, and two TDA7294 BTL for the subwoofer.
YJ 2 1 LM3886 TDA7294 68W 68W 160W Amplifier Board Speaker Protection | eBay

Likely the YJ will work well.
YJ's are good for a quick cheapy unit.
Reasonable value for average to perhaps good performance.
However imo it will ..Not... be the best of breed of a LM 3886 amp.
In my experiences, their parts used are of typical Chinee quality ie: low or fake.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.