LM3886 GC with LM4562 tone control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Mooley also pointed out quite correctly that putting the feedback capacitor in lost your power amplifiers DC reference (can be on either of the two input pins but must be on one or the other). This is remedied by a >>22K say 100K resistor value (somewhat arbitrary but must be much greater than the volume resistor in value).

:) Pin 10 is the one that must be referenced to ground.

Pin 9 may or may not be according to the design requirements. If it is DC coupled (no 33uf) then the amp will have a large(r) DC offset than needed and will "amplify" its own internal offsets as they drift. AC coupling returns the gain to 1 at DC and minimises these issues. The input bias currents (the tiny DC current that flows out of or in to the input pins) should be equal for both inputs. Or more correctly the volt drop developed by those currents across the input and feedback resistors should be equal. Keeping the resistor values equal achieves that. So 20K feedback resistor and 20K input bias resistor.

For example, 0.1 ma bias current (just to illustrate, it would never be this high) would develop 0.0001 * 20K or 2 volts at pin 10. It would also develop the same voltage at pin 9 with the bias current flowing in the 20K feedback resistor. Same voltage on the inputs means no difference in voltage between the inputs. So the output is zero volts DC... all good. Now change either 20K to some other value, say 30K. We now have 0.0001 * 30K which gives 3 volts on the appropriate pin. Result... a DC offset error, one that is made worse if the feedback is also DC coupled because the chip can amplify that error.

So keep the DC currents equal by keeping Rin and Rf equal and AC coupling the feedback return.

The "output end" of the chain (the 10 ohm or 2.7 ohm in your new diagram) is at low impedance and unaffected by whats going on around it and any extra PCB length. It is the inputs of the chip that would be sensitive to extra length and the risk that brings of stray pickup. I wouldn't like to say yay or nay to the technique without verifying it and designing a suitable PCB to match. Stick to what you have drawn.

The times 4 buffer would bring a huge gain change as you say.

C1 and C2 (C3 ???? in the tone control) The inverting buffer (in the tone stage) has an input impedance determined by the 20K. So that determines how big C1 has to be and that in turn is determined by you and what you deem a suitable cut off point. Typically a designer would work to <1Hz for these. So that implies at least 10uf. Why not make the 20k's bigger ? Say 180K. That brings the added bonus of a higher input impedance too and allows a 1uf to be used. C2 needs to be bigger as it drives the low impedance tone network. I would use a 100uf electrolytic here. There is no right and wrong in all this. They are just choices. The 1k and 33uf in the power amp come in at around 5Hz (which is fine for the final power amp stage)

Just spotted an error... The 2 uf cap in the power amp. You need a 20K (or 19 to be correct) to ground from this cap. The pin is floating at DC otherwise and the amp can not establish its DC conditions.

Sorry, I meant C6 (not C3!). Does C1, 2, 6 need a resistor to ground too, like Cin? I guess I'm a little confused what C1,2,6 are doing. I thought they were there to block dc. A 5hz or less cut off point is fine for my usage.

thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Don't be afraid of caps in the signal line :)

It should look something like this... I've left the bypass as it was.

The 470K's define the DC conditions on the caps when they could otherwise be "floating". It stops load thumps and bangs when switching and connecting.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 255

Thanks a lot. Working on making the changes now.

Not afraid, just cautious based on what I've read, but of course I should always be cautious of what I read... Caps seem to be a hot topic for some. I'm learning by reading/experimenting, not by any actual electrical training...

Since the values are so high, they'll need to be electrolytic, would there be any benefit to a poly cap bypass on the electrolytics in the signal path? I built the Millet Starving Student Hybrid headphone amp and used a poly bypass on the output capacitors and did notice a difference, maybe that's a different case though.

Nichicon KZ or FG a fine choice here?

BTW, here's my MSSH I built last year. Other than a cmoy, this was my first real amp project. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I use it on my desk at work most of the time. Funny how many people are somewhat afraid of glowing tubes for some reason...

Attachments

• MSSH Build.png
    MSSH Build.png
    517.9 KB · Views: 243
Why should the bypass line go on the other side of C1? Wouldn't I want as few capacitors on the signal path as possible? With Cin after the pot, that should block any dc offset from the input right?

I did this to isolate your "direct" circuit from potential DC offset from an external source that could otherwise cause a speaker thump. As Mooly says do not worry we are not trying to convince you to fit TOO MANY capaitors, just enough to do the proper job! :)

Last edited:
:
:

Since the values are so high, they'll need to be electrolytic, would there be any benefit to a poly cap bypass on the electrolytics in the signal path? I built the Millet Starving Student Hybrid headphone amp and used a poly bypass on the output capacitors and did notice a difference, maybe that's a different case though.

Nichicon KZ or FG a fine choice here?

I would still plumb for non-polarised electrolytics and yes, decouple them with your poly bypass caps..... :cool:

:
:

BTW, here's my MSSH I built last year. Other than a cmoy, this was my first real amp project. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I use it on my desk at work most of the time. Funny how many people are somewhat afraid of glowing tubes for some reason...[/QUOTE]

Excellent! I have my own collection of Leak valve gear - 2 off Stereo 60s tuner and preamp, greatr combination and they don't shame themselves with CD or streaming/internet radio!!!!
:cool:

That looks nice :) Excellent job.

The big thing to concentrate on with the chip amp is the layout and grounding of it all.

Did I post a link to this ?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/101321-3-stage-lin-topology-nfb-tappings.html#post1623053

you have to get this right.

Well, much of that was above my understanding, but let me take a stab at implementing this. See attached with grounding scheme. Am i close? :eek:

Is it possible to have an individual star ground for each channel, and then bring them together at a single point, or is it just better to bring everything to one common point?

Will the signal and supply ground points need to be isolated from the chassis since the chassis is attached to earth ground (and since they'll all be joined via resistors). Also, what wattage should those resistors be for the grounds?

It should look something like this... I've left the bypass as it was.

The 470K's define the DC conditions on the caps when they could otherwise be "floating". It stops load thumps and bangs when switching and connecting.

Thanks, added these resistors and changed values based on your edits.

This subject has already been touched apon by Mooley, thanks, although I may repeat and/or exand on it we seem to agree!
the formula you want is if we assume C (in Farads) R (Ohms) and frequency of interest F (in Hz or cycles a second):

C= 1 / (6.284 x R x F) [ 6.284 = 2 x pi (approx) ]

If, as Mooley suggests, you want to include subsonics you would probably use 1Hz as F - it is indeed what I tend to do!

If you use seperate sub or small speakers with no chance of producing subsonics, you can use even higher eg 5 or 20Hz

My suggested values would be C1 10uF; C2 100uF, Ci (power amp feedback) 220 uF all at least 35V non-polarised electrolytics if you can. It's a personal thing but i'm not a fan of using polarised electrolytics in signal paths with no DC (as all these positions are). You can however "get away with" ignoring me on that one!

Updated with your recommendations for C1, C2, C6, and Cin.

But, lets say I really only need a 10hz cut off frequency. This amp won't be used on speakers that can reach near that low, and at some point I'll probably add a sub (or build a totally different amp :D). It seems like i should be able to use smaller values for C1, C6 and Cin (and maybe C2 and Ci?)
f = 1/(2 x π x 20,000 x 0.000001) = ~7.96 hz
So a 1uf cap should be sufficient for those 3 positions, no? That would let me use poly caps in those positions instead of electrolytic, which is generally preferable too, right? Then no bypass cap silliness (which i might not do anyway after reading more into it. or maybe I'll get some to experiment with and see how it sounds).
Not sure what that means for C2 and Ci though.

I've also included my plans for the power supply now.

Really, thanks for the help. I'm definitely learning a lot through this process. It's fun.

Attachments

• LM3886 wTone V3.png
    LM3886 wTone V3.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 333
  • LM3886 Power Supply.png
    LM3886 Power Supply.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 328
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 10.20.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 10.20.31 PM.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
.... all gone quiet....

I've not forgotten about the thread nor given up! It took me a little longer to get the parts together than I expected. But I have everything now, except for a case.

I was going to go with an Antek transformer, but when I went to order one, everything was out of stock. I emailed them and turns out they just had a fire in their offices and warehouse and won't be back in business until April. Ended up going with an Avel transformer from parts express.

I just started building this week. I've got my power supply board together and tested without load and seems to be working fine so far. I'm working on planning/assembling the amp boards now. Once I get both channels of the amp working, I'll move onto the tone section and power supply.

Attachments

• IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 238
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.