How do I properly mount the heatsink to this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey! I bought this on on ebay to replace the one in my PC speakers...it has the same output transistor - tda2030 but the original one I had was mounted directly to the heat sink...this amp cam with little blue spacer pads and white grommets to insulate the screws....so I am curious....do I have to keep the chips isolated from the heat sink? and if so do I still put some thermal paste between the pads and the heat sink?

below is the link to the amp I am using:

2 1 TDA2030A NE5532 18WX2 36W Stereo Pre Amplifier Amp Board Kit Magic Sound 12V | eBay

It depends if your heat sinks are connected to anything.

If they are connected to the chassis, and the chassis is grounded, and the circuit isn't single supply (or maybe even if it is if you want to control the grounding) then you need to isolate them.

The reason is that the metal tab at the back of the chips (they aren't transistors by the way) is connected internally to the negative power pin on the chip.

IIRC mica pads need thermal grease, silicone ones don't. Make sure you use non electrically conductive thermal grease if you do need to isolate the chips.

Last edited:
.......this amp cam with little blue spacer pads and white grommets to insulate the screws.........do I have to keep the chips isolated from the heat sink? and if so do I still put some thermal paste between the pads and the heat sink?

below is the link to the amp I am using:

2 1 TDA2030A NE5532 18WX2 36W Stereo Pre Amplifier Amp Board Kit Magic Sound 12V | eBay

As I guessed it from your Photos, there are two regulator ICs ( may be 7815,7915 or LM317,LM337) near the two 6800uFd/25V ...the bigger filter electrolytic capacitors. Perhaps the regulator ICs are used to power up the preamp( NE5532) section with +-15V regulated DC and the TDA2030a ICs are fed with unregulated dual power supply.

So in that case, in my humble opinion, an Isolation, perhaps with TO220 Mica Separator with Thermal Paste, is a must-have if you want to mount the TDA2030As on one large heat sink that is connected to the chasis.

All the very best.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.