DIY gainclone - check! What's next? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2012, 03:02 PM   #1
maurycy is offline maurycy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY gainclone - check! What's next?

I put together BrianGT's LM3875 gainclone amp. Took me a while but the build was a success.

So now, I am looking for another DIY project. Due to my basic electronics knowledge, I would like to stay away from tubes. Maybe one day I will dive into those but not yet. I was looking at the F5 amp but the heatsink/case requirements will probably eat the whole budget. Any other projects/kits that you guys would recommend? Of course I would like to step up in the audio quality over the gainclone.

Thanks.
Old 18th December 2012, 06:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I had built a Tube preamp (Bottlehead Quickie) as my second project after an Audiosector Gainclone. It was fairly easy to build, fun and, best of all, it sounds great with the Gainclone.

Michael
Old 19th December 2012, 01:37 AM   #3
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Also a Quickie owner... Blows my Denon preamp out of the water. Totally worth the investment IMO. I havent built the PJCCS yet either, and that should open up the sound even more.

I am looking at a Gainclone amp as well as an F5. We shall see what happens, but I can say the battery powered Quickie is mega simple, and if you have kids or anyone you want to share the experience with, the lack of high voltages makes this an extremely safe project to work on.
Old 19th December 2012, 02:06 AM   #4
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Tube amps are simpler and easier to build. You don't have to deal with heatsinks. In a Class A amp, ask yourself would you rather dissipate 150W of heat through large custom heatsinks, or through tubes?

Also, the cheap little Gainclone, if you give it a good regulated power supply, is close to as good as SS amp would get (in my opinion). If you want an amp that sounds noticeably different...

Last edited by cotdt; 19th December 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 19th December 2012, 02:34 AM   #5
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

My first project was a chipamp too. I looked at several tube amp kits, but ended up rebuilding one I pulled from a Packard Bell console I got at a thrift store for $25. It was as easy as or easier than the chipamp. Tubes aren't difficult if you follow the diagram. There are a few kits that come with everything you need. If the only reason you're staying away from tubes is because you feel you don't know enough about them, I would say if you built a chipamp, you can build a tube amp or pre-amp from a kit.
Mike
Old 19th December 2012, 12:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all replies. I am trying to avoid tubes because of my limited knowledge but also due to the high voltages.

The Quickie looks good but I will have to come up with a nice case for it as it has a non-existing WAF. Also how long does it run on one set of the batteries? I do not want to spend $50 every month on batteries. My stereo is on for about 8 hours a day.
Old 19th December 2012, 12:35 PM   #7
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

A B-1 would make a nice addition to the chip amp and is a great project. If you want an amp I am very, very happy with the "amp camp" amp. Or do what I did and make both for a sweet little integrated amp. This should fit your budget as well.
Old 19th December 2012, 02:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurycy View Post
Thanks for all replies. I am trying to avoid tubes because of my limited knowledge but also due to the high voltages.

The Quickie looks good but I will have to come up with a nice case for it as it has a non-existing WAF. Also how long does it run on one set of the batteries? I do not want to spend $50 every month on batteries. My stereo is on for about 8 hours a day.
The batteries run for 100-200 hours. I bought rechargeable ones. I also ordered their case for 40$, as well asthe PJCCS.
Old 19th December 2012, 04:01 PM   #9
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well I have seen chargers with 8-10 batteries priced under $75, so it depends on initial investment. The Quickie can be built into other enclosures if worried about WAF and the schematic is not too complex that you would find much difficulty in rearranging the layout. As for the batteries, the big ones last long but the 9v are about 100 hours or so, possibly more with the PJCCS mod. They are also devising a power supply kit for it which woll make it even better I'm sure A word of caution... 3S4 tubes can be a bit microphonic compared to others.
Old 19th December 2012, 07:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks again for the replies. Now, I have something to think about it. A preamp for my gainclone amp would be nice. Just need to figure out a nice enclosure for the Quickie. Otherwise the project may not be allowed (by wife) to make its way into the entertainment center.

Hide this!Advertise here!