24 volt DC chip amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Speaker impedance... I would say you'll be OK with the LM1875. Its a complex subject, the amp will have a max current it can deliver and a max voltage and a max total power dissipation. So the quoted 4 ohms "covers all bases" for the published spec. Use the amp at full voltage swing into a below than 4 ohms load and it will limit. Abuse it too much and its reliability may suffer despite the inbuilt protection.

In the real world I would say 3.2 minimum (that figure will be at some specific frequency, other frequencies will have much higher impedance) will be OK.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Where's the graph come from ? :)

It seems odd seeing the impedance drop to "zero" around 4K.

As to the LM1875, it's rated for 4 ohm which is as "good" as any small chip can drive. I still think it would be OK given the low supply voltage but that leads to another question. Are you going to be able to get the levels you need with the power available ?

At +/- 12v supply. The peak voltage swing from the amplifier with 3 ohm load is 10v or less or about 7 volts rms max. 10v/3ohms= 3.33a peak or 2.33a rms. Well within the safe limit of the 1875. The 2050 has 5a peak current so there's more wiggle room. Another benefit of the 2050 is that it is able to output a bit higher voltage swing than the 1875 at a given supply voltage so this means a bit more output power. 1 to 1.5w, I'd guess.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks for the graph details.I still don't see how it can fall to zero ohms impedance (which is a short at those frequencies)... wouldn't the voice coil set a minimum value... not my thing speaker theory and design... it just doesn't sound right though :)

No matter :D

So are we going for the TDA2050 ?

"says me who doesn't have a Paypal account and has never used ebay"
Me :D
But for about 10 euros I'm willing to take the risk, for more no..
Finally I found in France LM1875, but on Ebay too :)
In fact diy is very easy, if you find the components you expect !
I'll take the time to look again..
At this time, the best way is Farnell.
@ csom, nice project :)

More details about sub, it's a MLTL Bipole with two 5' drivers in phase and wiring in parallel, efficiency is about 95 db (at 1 meter and taking into account effect walls)..
For my new small listening room, 5/10 watts are good enough..
I use a bipole speaker system too. Quoted sensitivity is 91 Db 1 Watt 1 Meter. They are very much suited to low power amplifiers . have great bass weight and depth but also are very dynamic because of the small drivers very articuate too..... Chip amps and bipoles are a good combination LOTS! of bang per buck.. LOTS! Good for battry life too

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.