tda1514 Almost Hi-End or just another lie?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have found amplifier IC similar to LM3... series
Dual rail, ~30w norminal out at 8 ohms even more..
Yet, some say its almost high-end, so i decided to build one by myself or
its not worth it?
I had old stereo amp from end 90s which sounded incredible it also had these chips pair per channel

I already made PCB and what about components?
May use ordinary old TV parts, for the looks only :)

I am working on a Marshall guitar amp that uses 1 tda1514. Bought 10 from Dalbani on ebay and going to breadboard the same circuit here, TDA1514 to test the lot. I may even try to build a stereo amp for my iPod with a couple. Normally I wouldn't calla guitar amp HiFi, though with a good preamp, it might be.Good luck with your project.

The TDA1514 is *very* good, and was designed for Hi Fi .
Of course it can be used for guitar.
The problem is that it's currently out of production, so if you have a stash , use them of course (and save a couple for spares) but avoid using it for new designs.
I regularly repair 90's guitar amps who used them, and had to make a mini-board to mount LM3886 in the same heatsink or chassis space, wiring the corresponding pins together, because customers can't wait until "maybe, an original one becomes available".
I wouldn't depend on EBay suppliers.

Yes, of course, it's the first one which forced me to do it ;)
Tons of Msh VS8040 in Argentina in the 90's.
It's relatively easy, you pull the TDA1514 out, pump desolder clean its holes in the PCB, you drill a new mounting hole in the middle of the 2 original ones (be careful with burrs or sharp edges) and mount the LM3886 "upside down" , so you have free access to its legs.
I cut them around 1/4" to 3/8" long and bend them altenatively parallel and perpendicular or in a staggered zig zag so it's easy to solder wires to the short stubs.
I made a miniboard but you don't *really* need it; you'll only solder 6 wires, plus the Mute RC (22K + 10uF)
The pin wiring is:
TDA1514 .................... LM3886
(1) +IN ...................... (10)
(2) Prot ..................... (NC)
(3) MUTE ................... (NC)
(4) -V ....................... (4)
(5) OUT ..................... (3)
(6) +V ....................... (1+5)
(7) BOOTSTRAP .......... (NC)
(8) GND ..................... (7)
(9) -IN ...................... (9)

You must also add a 10uFx50V cap from LM3886 legs 8 to 7 (+ end to 7) and a 22K 1/4W resistor from leg 4 to 8.

For neatness I'd remove the bootstrap resistors and capacitor connected to TDA1514 pin 7 or at least pull the bootstrap capacitor .

Works very well, of course there is no change in sound or power.

PS: don't trust me, check yourself the pin to pin compatibility with both datasheets side to side (at least the application schematic) and turn amp on with a bulb lamp limiter, without speaker.
Confirm that you have less than 100mV DC on LM3886 pin 3.
Good luck.

PS: in a similar way I could replace Fender's ¿uPC1188? .
The idea is to consider them non-pinout-compatible Op Amps and feed them what makes them happy.

Thank You. Your such a great help, Mr. Fahey! I have just ordered a sample from TI and will be looking forward to getting this amp back to the customer. You may remember me posting about this one over on the music-electronics forum, and after reading the great info here on DIY, I'm almost sure I have ordered a batch of "fake" or at least bad 1514 chips. I'll be certain once I get the test bed built and test them all.
Again, thanks for your excellent help and all you do for the amp repair community.

Ok,thanks, you'll make me blush !!:eek:
Remember to use a lamp bulb limiter at first, no speaker load, and check for all DC voltages OK.
Amd *maybe* there's some *other* problem, which killed the original TDA1514, just check around.
As of the Chip replacement, it works, they are basically two big bad Op Amps, in general lines functionally compatible, with a couple small differences which can be taken care of.
Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.