Op amp virtual earth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep the GBW you'll find in the datasheet for the chip - normally there will be a minimum and a typical value. Nothing in the external circuit changes this, you choose the gain with the ratio of the resistor values and this sets the bandwidth because GBW is constant. That is unless you use a cap across the feedback resistor, that will change the bandwidth of your circuit, but not the GBW.

I appreciate but don't get it. I've read that the opamp has a flat response but I did not take that to mean that adding external components would not effect it's bandwidth. My original question was does the attenuating feedback resistor effect the lower frequency response because There is a virtual path between the V+ and V - inputs.

The bandwidth of the circuit and the gain bandwidth product are two different things. Increasing gain decreases bandwidth. The term gain bandwidth product is self explanatory; the product of the circuit gain and the circuit bandwidth is theoretically constant for a given device. So a device with a GBP of 5.5 mHz (like the 1875) can provide a gain of 10 with a 550 kHz bandwidth, a gain of 20 with a 275 kHz bandwith, etc, theoretically. Of course for an audio circuit we might limit that bandwidth by using a snubber on the output, which decreases loop gain with increasing frequency and helps to prevent oscillation.

My original question was does the attenuating feedback resistor effect the lower frequency response because There is a virtual path between the V+ and V - inputs.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'virtual path' here. There's quite a high differential input impedance in an opamp, above 100k typically. Its true that they stay at the same voltage by virtue of feedback, but I can't see how that's a 'virtual path'. Are you getting 'virtual path' from the notion of 'virtual earth' in the inverting gain case? In which case there's not a path between the + and - inputs in that case, just because the -input looks like a virtual ground. You could put a resistor in the +ve input and the -ve input would still look like ground, the resistor in the +ve input wouldn't have any effect on the characteristics of the -input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.