Making out the Pink Floyd lyrics, or how much can you really hear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Peter Daniel said:

I just listened to The Wall CD (the first one) and on track 10, 50 sec into it, a girl says "Hello". Right after that there is an echoing voice in left channel saying "Hello" again, sort of washed out with the music.

I listened maybe 50 times to the girl saying "Hello" on a not too bad system. No way I can hear the second "Hello". Is it the echo of the room where she stands or does she really say "Hello" two times?
I can clearly hear the echo, some kind of hollow sound around the word. With headphones the voice is rather positioned a little bit left of centre and echoes out to the mid. An easy test was turning the headphone left to right and vice versa.

/Hugo

Netlist said:

I listened maybe 50 times to the girl saying "Hello" on a not too bad system. No way I can hear the second "Hello". Is it the echo of the room where she stands or does she really say "Hello" two times?
I can clearly hear the echo, some kind of hollow sound around the word. With headphones the voice is rather positioned a little bit left of centre and echoes out to the mid. An easy test was turning the headphone left to right and vice versa.

/Hugo

It's not girl's voice but it seems like a man repeats after her Hello. It is sort of modulated by a music, but i can clearly hear the word. I was using that track for years in some music assesments, on not so bad systems, but also never noticed it before.

What I noticed about my current setup that resolution is very much improved and lyrics are much easier to comprehend. It's almost done automatically, even if the music is in a background. Also on older recordings, the tape hiss is easily noticable at the start and end, something that never took my attention before.

I have 2 CDs that almost never sounded right: Talking Heads - Naked and John Lydon - Psychopath. This time they are quite right.

Another thing I noticed with volume transformers. Before it seemed like they sound perfect on classical material and jazz, but with electronic music they somehow dulled the top end. Since I started using batteries, they sound fine on everything.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nuuk said:

On The Pink Floyd album Dark Side of the Moon, on track two there is an airport announcement.
This is a tough one.
I managed to hear the second "hello" which to me is a synthesizer in some kind of tremolo arrangement.
Eric's "Oh funk" is neither a problem although I never heard it till now.
The airport and describing what is said is a far more difficult task.
From what you posted before I conclude that you can clearly ‘discramble’ the announcement?
The only thing I can come up with is a time announcement in Dutch: “kwart voor twee” and a flight number “Two One Five” The Dutch sentence is likely impossible so we will have to wait until Peter finds out what is said. He’s in the aircraft business after all. :devilr:

/Hugo

It is very clearly to hear on my well worn LP (bought 1974), but not to understand, I must admit. I probably would not even understand it on location of the recording too (because English is not my mother tongue...). But it sounds like much more flight numbers and destinations to me.

Do you understand what Clare Torry (?) says softly while singing in "The great gig in the sky" ?
I like very much the little joke speeding up the tape recorder by hand a little (more wobbling) at the end of that track. Maybe it was more slowing it down by hand during recording of the material and playing it back at correct speed. It could have happened unintentionally and than left...

This album is a musical and engineering masterpiece anyway. Besides the remarkable work done by Alan Parsons, Roger Waters introduced tape generated "3D" effects into pop music, which were never heard before outside the electroacoustic music community. They were developed much earlier by composers like Pierre Henry in the fifties or Francois Bayle in the sixties in Paris.

Klaus

Re: Clarity

Nuuk said:
I posted this once before but got no replies!

On The Pink Floyd album Dark Side of the Moon, on track two there is an airport announcement.

On a good system you can hear the flight number and three destinations. What are they?

It is track 3 on my disk. I can hear 255, but the destinations are not clear. But then again, English isn't my first language;)

Do you understand what Clare Torry (?) says softly while singing in "The great gig in the sky" ?

"I'm still whispering your" and the last word sounds like "diary" but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

PD - I think that the track numbers are changed on one of the later versions of DSOTM. And I think that track one was divided into two which would make the one with the airport announcement track 3.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nuuk said:

"I'm still whispering your" and the last word sounds like "diary" but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?
I happen to know exactly what is said but only the word whispering is correct. :) Like I said before, in the spirit of the song, you better not hear it. (hint, hint) :D

As this is part of the fun, here’s my attempt.
After carefully listening to the airport section I came up with some fragments.
…your passport’s ready…the reason why…customs…255 to Rome…fields…May I have your attention please

I’ll tell you later about the used equipment. (Nothing fancy) Anyone in for another attempt?

Oh, by the way I have the feeling this is rather off topic. If these “Pink Floyd Lyrics” should be moved to a separate thread, feel free to do so.

/Hugo

Dsotm

Whilst this is all rather pointless within the context of enjoying the music the airport announcement is an interesting little test.

The general lack of clarity, particularly the attack to explosive consonants makes some words much harder to distinguish.

Anyway, here's what I can hear easily, with ... for the missing bits: -

"...your hand baggage and your passports ready...green...to customs and then to immigration. BA255 to Rome ...(destination ending in 'O' sound) and (destination ending in 'OS' sound). May I have your attention please etc."

I can't work out the last two destinations as the beginning consonants are unclear at present on CD.

I'll try the vinyl later to see if that helps.

Andy,

Re: Dsotm

ALW said:

"...your hand baggage and your passports ready...green...to customs and then to immigration. BA255 to Rome ...(destination ending in 'O' sound) and (destination ending in 'OS' sound). May I have your attention please etc."

Not quite... i make out:

"...your hand baggage and your passports ready, follow the green line to customs and then to immigration. BA215 to Rome Via (somthing, sounds like biels)... May I have your attention please..."

Mwp

Yep, i reckon you're right with the 'green line' bit and 255 was a typo on my part, it is BA215 as you say.

I think upon further listening you're right about the 'Rome via' bit too, it's much easier once someone puts some words in the bits you can't make out!

Andy.

Re: Mwp

ALW said:
I think upon further listening you're right about the 'Rome via' bit too, it's much easier once someone puts some words in the bits you can't make out!

Yeah. And I don't know that making out words and lyrics is necessarily an indication that the system is better. In my own experience, there have been numerous times when lyrics I've listened to on much better systems but couldn't make out will jump out perfectly clear while I'm listening in the shower using a cheap Sony table radio.

And just the other day I had a similar experience with a song my niece was playing an MP3 of on her computer using a pair of cheap plastic multimedia speakers.

You know how your peripheral vision is much more sensitive to light and movement and how you can often pick things out not by looking directly at it, but by looking rather way from it? It's sort of the same with me and song lyrics. If I'm listening intently, even repeatedly, it's often hopeless. But when my aural "focus" is just slightly away from the song, it often hits me clear as a bell.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.