Making out the Pink Floyd lyrics, or how much can you really hear? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2003, 04:41 PM   #21
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

IIRC from my ham radio days, speech intelligibility is increased with severe band limiting (300-3000 Hz) and some compression. Peak clipping, too, perhaps.
Old 9th November 2003, 04:54 PM   #22
Banned

Default "Flight 2-1-5.....

To Rome......Cairo.......Naples", if memory serves.

Why does anyone care??

Go buy this, and stop fretting:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pf.jpg (61.3 KB, 692 views)
Old 9th November 2003, 05:27 PM   #23
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And I don't know that making out words and lyrics is necessarily an indication that the system is better.
Hey for once I agree, hence my comment about how irrelevant this was to the music.

In fact this sort of thing is the worst excess of the HiFi disease, listening to sounds, not music.

It does give some indication of the ability to seperate parts of the mix and of resolution, but unless it all gels together, it's pointless.

Quote:
IIRC from my ham radio days, speech intelligibility is increased with severe band limiting (300-3000 Hz) and some compression
This often has more to do with maximising output power levels when using suppressed carrier transmission methods, or modulation levels and S/N on other forms.

The bandwidth limit is a necessity due to the allowable occupied bandwidth, but I can't say that the limit ever increased intelligibility within the context of audio only. In fact the dynamic changes often give more audible clues to the speech than when compressed, providing S/N ratio's are good.

Jocko, it's on my Christmas list

Andy.
Old 9th November 2003, 05:41 PM   #24
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default BTW

Jocko's right.

I've just listened to it via the quaint and antiquated method of dragging a rock around a lump of plastic, and it's clear it is Rome, Cairo Naples.

Must sort that CD player out...

Andy.
Old 9th November 2003, 07:39 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Re: Mwp

It sounds like Rome, Cairo and Naples to me too.

And Steve Eddy just made a point why DBLT don't work properly and proove nothing:
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy

You know how your peripheral vision is much more sensitive to light and movement and how you can often pick things out not by looking directly at it, but by looking rather way from it? It's sort of the same with me and song lyrics. If I'm listening intently, even repeatedly, it's often hopeless. But when my aural "focus" is just slightly away from the song, it often hits me clear as a bell.

se
ďDo something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.Ē - JC
Old 9th November 2003, 08:02 PM   #26
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I agree that focussing on one aspect of the sound is no way to assess a good hi-fi but a good system should be able to retrieve the last ounce of detail and the examples quoted in this thread are a good yardstick.
Old 9th November 2003, 08:20 PM   #27
Banned

Default Why wait until Christmas??

Celebrate Ramadan: buy it today.

Careful.......with that axe......Eugene.

(BTW: I remembered the words from my vinyl days. Not sure I have listened to my CD copy yet.)

Jocko
Old 9th November 2003, 09:34 PM   #28
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

To me itís all part of the fun of diy. Itís just like discussing a part of an amp, a speaker or whatever component in a chain. Except there are some more emotions and fewer maths.

For who might be interested, the Pink Floyd album has been of great influence for me and certainly for many other people here. I was 15 then and one can easily imagine what an impact it had on our young generation. Iím still happy I grow up with the music of those days. Beatles, Stones, Floyd to name a few big ones.
It happens to be the 30th anniversary and the album has also been released on SACD (Which I donít own).

And yes, I fully enjoyed listening to all the tracks again, not only the airport piece, not only ĎThe Great Gig In The Skyí which gave me the shivers again when hearing it. I enjoyed unpacking the old records (donít ask me why I have three copies), cleaning them and my cartridge to get the best sound out of them. I even recorded some pieces on the hard disk to prevent the record from being damaged from repeating same tracks. I also enjoyed doing some research, finding lyrics on the net, which revealed that Floyd is still very alive and kicking. Itís amazing how many people are still passionate by this music. Donít get me wrong here, I love all kind of music and Iím certainly not a Floyd adept, neither a nostalgic.

So, still for the interested, hereís what I found.

Quote:
The Great Gig in the Sky Lyrics
"And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime."

"If you can hear this whispering you are dying."

"I never said I was frightened of dying."

(Instrumental)
You can find this a hundred times on the net.
Years ago I read a paper about ĎThe Great Gigí. It described very well the Five Stages of the Dying Process Replace the religious parts with whatever you like

When in a ďgoodď mood itís even nicer to listen to The Great Gig with this wisdom in mind, for what itís worth.
Some people link the whole album to the Wizard of Oz, also for what itís worth.

Quote:
On The Run
(Gilmour, Waters)
[unintelligible] baggage, your passports ready, and follow the green line to customs and then to immigration.
BA two - one - five to Rome, Prado, Naples.
May I have your attention please, customs will be receiving passengers for BA two-one-five to Rome, Prado, Naples...
Live for today, gone tomorrow, that's me.
(Instrumental)
Source
Here is a nice and touchy review.

/Hugo Ė Itís only audio (Jean-Paul)
Old 9th November 2003, 10:09 PM   #29
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

During that PA anouncement when he is running around and you can hear his foot steps, what kind of sound stage does your system provide.

With my DSOM LP I can hear him running not only left and right, but clearly front and back. The LP provides the mind eye view of a large empty terminal with depth as well as width. This is not so apparent on my CD, even the new 30 year non-SACD version.
Old 9th November 2003, 11:54 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Mwp

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
And Steve Eddy just made a point why DBLT don't work properly and proove nothing:
Eh? What has what I said to do with blind listening?

se

Hide this!Advertise here!