Making out the Pink Floyd lyrics, or how much can you really hear? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2003, 03:56 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

if you play backwards those words - it's very clear that it's roger saying "one day i'm gonna kill you dave".......
Old 8th November 2003, 06:54 PM   #12
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you understand what Clare Torry (?) says softly while singing in "The great gig in the sky" ?
"I'm still whispering your" and the last word sounds like "diary" but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

PD - I think that the track numbers are changed on one of the later versions of DSOTM. And I think that track one was divided into two which would make the one with the airport announcement track 3.
Old 8th November 2003, 08:43 PM   #13
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

"I'm still whispering your" and the last word sounds like "diary" but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?
I happen to know exactly what is said but only the word whispering is correct. Like I said before, in the spirit of the song, you better not hear it. (hint, hint)

As this is part of the fun, here’s my attempt.
After carefully listening to the airport section I came up with some fragments.
…your passport’s ready…the reason why…customs…255 to Rome…fields…May I have your attention please

I’ll tell you later about the used equipment. (Nothing fancy) Anyone in for another attempt?

Oh, by the way I have the feeling this is rather off topic. If these “Pink Floyd Lyrics” should be moved to a separate thread, feel free to do so.

/Hugo
Old 9th November 2003, 08:13 AM   #14
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I agree this is rather off topic but I'll leave that one to the moderators!

OK, another listen and now I think that I can hear "Are you still whispering you're dying".

I wonder if PF expected people to be discussing these lyrics 30 years later!
Old 9th November 2003, 09:22 AM   #15
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Dsotm

Whilst this is all rather pointless within the context of enjoying the music the airport announcement is an interesting little test.

The general lack of clarity, particularly the attack to explosive consonants makes some words much harder to distinguish.

Anyway, here's what I can hear easily, with ... for the missing bits: -

"...your hand baggage and your passports ready...green...to customs and then to immigration. BA255 to Rome ...(destination ending in 'O' sound) and (destination ending in 'OS' sound). May I have your attention please etc."

I can't work out the last two destinations as the beginning consonants are unclear at present on CD.

I'll try the vinyl later to see if that helps.

Andy,
Old 9th November 2003, 09:49 AM   #16
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I bet Peter is still substituting resistors while listening to the airport messages and at last will come up with the whole text.
I rather prefer not to reveal the 'whispering' until the Ultimate Gainclone gives us the final answer.

/Hugo
Old 9th November 2003, 10:39 AM   #17
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I can hear BA215 to Rome, Prato, Lagos. But then I am half deaf, listening to some old gear I am too embarrassed to mention (am building a gainclone and Ariel speakers to replace)...

Old 9th November 2003, 01:31 PM   #18
MWP is offline MWP  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Dsotm

Quote:
Originally posted by ALW

"...your hand baggage and your passports ready...green...to customs and then to immigration. BA255 to Rome ...(destination ending in 'O' sound) and (destination ending in 'OS' sound). May I have your attention please etc."
Not quite... i make out:

"...your hand baggage and your passports ready, follow the green line to customs and then to immigration. BA215 to Rome Via (somthing, sounds like biels)... May I have your attention please..."
Old 9th November 2003, 02:23 PM   #19
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Mwp

Yep, i reckon you're right with the 'green line' bit and 255 was a typo on my part, it is BA215 as you say.

I think upon further listening you're right about the 'Rome via' bit too, it's much easier once someone puts some words in the bits you can't make out!

Andy.
Old 9th November 2003, 04:35 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Mwp

Quote:
Originally posted by ALW
I think upon further listening you're right about the 'Rome via' bit too, it's much easier once someone puts some words in the bits you can't make out!
Yeah. And I don't know that making out words and lyrics is necessarily an indication that the system is better. In my own experience, there have been numerous times when lyrics I've listened to on much better systems but couldn't make out will jump out perfectly clear while I'm listening in the shower using a cheap Sony table radio.

And just the other day I had a similar experience with a song my niece was playing an MP3 of on her computer using a pair of cheap plastic multimedia speakers.

You know how your peripheral vision is much more sensitive to light and movement and how you can often pick things out not by looking directly at it, but by looking rather way from it? It's sort of the same with me and song lyrics. If I'm listening intently, even repeatedly, it's often hopeless. But when my aural "focus" is just slightly away from the song, it often hits me clear as a bell.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!