LM3875 Inverted Or Not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I understand the schematic in so far as ive built gainclones (non inverting kit) and wondered if i could builb a valve buffer for it. The schematics are all a variation on inverted designs. I dont fully understand the implications of using the valve with the chip

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But is it feasible to do with non inverting amp?

Thorsten Loesch's design -- one of the originally published gainclones -- is inverted. The inverted version includes everything "before" it in the feedback loop so a buffer is really required. Buffered, inverted gainclones, in my experience, are best of breed. If using a cathode follwer, for best performance requires a CCS on the tail of the CF.

dave

Unless you have whimp of a preamp, inverted config doesn't necessarily need a pre. You can get pretty high input impedance (like 10k) when using a T-network for the feeback path.

I have tried the t network on my inverting lm3886. The extra connection to ground seems to inject ground noise into the input... Any comments?

Ps can get 10k input impedance without t network in inverted mode

I have tried the t network on my inverting lm3886. The extra connection to ground seems to inject ground noise into the input... Any comments?
Looks like layout/wiring issues, not a conceptual problem. T-network has a slight noise penalty in general, though. And higher than unity gain at DC with either only input coupling capacitor or T-network cap (in the GND leg).

Ps can get 10k input impedance without t network in inverted mode
Yes, that means 100k++ feedback resistor which is a bit too high for my tastes. More important is that any inverting confic should have a capacitive feedback divider (to GND rather than -Input), too, to keep it stable with open or high-Z input termination.

Inverting amp with T feedback network

Attachments

• inv_with_T.gif
    inv_with_T.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 388
KSTR..

I use a computer and an external dac.. I tried the T network on an already built and in service inverting lm3886. I had no issues with it at all. I read about the t net feedback idea and i gave it a try as it is simple to implement . and with the t network computer noise is audiable.. I have no stability issues with just a single feedback resistor . 220k

In my case leaving the input open circuit is not an issue as it is hard wired to the dac. The dac is buffered after the volume pot so the offset stays the same with diffrent volume settings too. The dac is not a diy unit.. i have had the lid off and done a little looking about i couldnt resist... KSTR you have raised some very good points and also given the solutions .. If i where to build a standalone amplifier i would implement them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.