Insulating Pads.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
li_gangyi said:
Unfortunately...not everyone likes the insulated version...he just asked about pads and you are tell mi the non-isolated version doesn't need pads...the original poster might get a bit confused you know...
if you don't insulate, the heat sink is at V- so you need insulated spacers to mount the heat sink --

the thermal "cost" of insulation can be calculated explicitly, and is part of the three theta's. i don't see why it's a problem .

The gold plated brass bar is more than insulation its also the H/S.Heat transfer is greatest when you have 2 surfaces that are flat to each other( //) to within .0001". They then wring( believe thats how its spelled, its not ring) together (actually stick together without any grease).As all i use is the LM3875T version that means the bar is electrically active so i just isolate the bar.Worked very well so far with 12 different GCs.Of course i use a poly (looking at Cu though) pressure bar for clamping.
Both the block and the chip are surfaced on a granite inspection plate that is accurate to within .00001" using a plate polishing compound.
ron

Yeah...good idea...but then again...if you go through so much...might as well just insulate the whole heasink and make sure it does not touch the chassis...or at least get the isolated version...

jackinnj:
I was saying that the ISOLATED version (TF) does NOT need an insulating pad...but the non-isolated version needs (T) guess must be different interpretations of my above posts...

ron clarke said:
The gold plated brass bar is more than insulation its also the H/S.Heat transfer is greatest when you have 2 surfaces that are flat to each other( //) to within .0001". They then wring( believe thats how its spelled, its not ring) together (actually stick together without any grease).As all i use is the LM3875T version that means the bar is electrically active so i just isolate the bar.Worked very well so far with 12 different GCs.Of course i use a poly (looking at Cu though) pressure bar for clamping.
Both the block and the chip are surfaced on a granite inspection plate that is accurate to within .00001" using a plate polishing compound.
ron

In fact, the way "glues" work is to make the two surfaces absolutely smooth!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.