5-10 watt Ultra LOW Noise Needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2012, 06:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 5-10 watt Ultra LOW Noise Needed

New to the group.

I'm looking for suggestions on an ultra low noise amplifier. Needs to be 5 watts or so, and run on 13 volts. Current draw is not an issue. Need something that will not hiss in the speaker and my Bose QCII headphones. The amplifier that is in the radio now is quite noisy.

A complete kit or at least a circuit board would be nice.

Thanks!
Jim
Old 24th November 2012, 07:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try Pass Zen design with big CLC or CRC power supply filtering
Old 24th November 2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

You don't need ultra low noise. You need only normal noise performance. The best solution is probably that you get a better car radio.
Old 24th November 2012, 04:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peranders View Post
You don't need ultra low noise. You need only normal noise performance. The best solution is probably that you get a better car radio.
2nd that... :-)
Old 24th November 2012, 05:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Too bad it's not for an auto radio!
Its for a home communication transceiver.

Thanks for all the help folks. I knew I could count you.

I guess this is how your group welcomes a new person.
Old 24th November 2012, 05:56 PM   #6
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

well your headphones dont need an amp at all, they have active noise cancelling which means internal amp, feed them line level.

they are probably right though, maybe you have a different definition, but here at DIYA ultralownoise is used for high end audio preamps, dac line level stages, high performance headphone amps, their power supplies or high gain phono preamps.

for radio, though not too bad with some stations and a high quality receiver, it doesnt need this kind of performance and its unlikely you are ready for the commitment or investment needed to achieve it anyway, even if your audio source was able to support it.

your transceiver almost definitely doesnt demand it. its hard to work out if you are actually talking about an amplifier or not. you really need to provide more detail if you want help. the amplifier in the reciever? that could mean anything and you further muddied the waters by describing a situation where no amplifier is needed.

what radio, what amplifier, what speakers?

also no need for the pouting and guilt trip please

Last edited by qusp; 24th November 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 24th November 2012, 06:01 PM   #7
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default only absurd high end audiophile headphones require Watts of power

can't find the model on the Bose site - can't find basic info on sensitivity, impedance for any on the Bose site

without those numbers you can't determine required Power, Voltage, Current or what would be "low noise" for those headphones

but I suspect they require milliWatt not Watts – certainly the case if they can be driven by iPod or most other DAP – they usually put out <100 mW

and noise canceling types have built in amplifier

so other than demanding a "solution" that almost certainly doesn't fit the promblem...
Old 24th November 2012, 06:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Icom IC-765 which also has an internal or external speaker.
Old 24th November 2012, 06:27 PM   #9
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

hmm

from the datasheet

Quote:
More than 2.6 W with an 8 ohm load at 10% distortion
thats pretty terrible i'm afraid to say and I have no idea where you would plug a better amplifier in, or whether you would get any benefit from the apparently noisy analogue circuit.

it doesnt appear to have a line out or a headphone out and it gives sensitivity ratings for 10 and 12dB signal to noise...
Old 24th November 2012, 06:28 PM   #10
dmills is offline dmills  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There is not much that a rig like that is used to listen to where low noise audio stages will make any difference whatsoever, the noise will be totally dominated by some combination of sky noise and things like reciprical mixing products, not much anything down at audio can do about those....

Best way to get lower noise is to use the narrowest bandwidth you can, best aerial system you can build and after that, move to a location with lower QRM, get a tower and a rather large beam.

Seriosuly, while the audio stages in a comms RX are usually pretty much an afterthought, they are seldom the limiting factor in terms of the noise floor.

Regards, Dan.

Hide this!Advertise here!