TDA7492 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2012, 10:51 PM   #1
baggins is offline baggins  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default TDA7492

Hi ,

Ive just managed to blag a TDA 7492 module for 12.00+ inc.delivery from Sure Electronics on Ebay. It seems almost too good to be true,way back when I started in this lark ( mucking about with sound systems) 2 x 50watts rms into 8 ohms would have cost me the price of a brand new D7 (that'll test you)
Ive checked it out with a wallwart and a walkman Cd player using a modded PC PSU ( 12v to the amp ,5v to the walkman.) It sounds fantastic on my camping speakers ( Goodmans 2 way heavy Duty ,8 ohm, mini 2, made in Japan, 60watt Pk.[very heavy small metal boxes]----- don't bother, I cant find them either) and I hope to use it in my garden PA system which consists of an Ebay sourced 12 band National Panasonic Graphic Eq. which acts as the pre-amp and gives the ability to tame the Mid " quacking " when driving simple columns consisting of 3 ex-Vauxhall 6.5" and 1 other 6.5 " very compliant bass driver reputedly used in Mission speakers plus a tweeter.They sound great by the way.
I propose to replace the existing 15 watt /ch.digital amp in the Panasonic GE with this module and shoe horn in a " laptop " 19V 3.15 amp supply.

Question :- any upgrade tips for the board before hard wiring it in(extra large mF? ) and will it cope with possible low impedance values of "cobbled up" garden speakers.

I am in the fortunate position of having No neighbours adjacent to the garden and can therefore indulge myself with realistic " concert hall " volume.
hence the desire for effortless power.
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Your board with or without the cooling fan? I have their TDA7498 board. It is a nice product given the relative low price. However, the board has layout error at the output snubber RC network.
Old 24th November 2012, 08:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

This one has the fan (very quiet too). Is the error easily fixed?. I cannot hear any problems, so far, as I said .
Old 25th November 2012, 02:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

please check whether R7, C17 and R6, C13 fitted or not. my board (TDA7498) does not. after i soldered them and powered up the board, there was funny smell. the RC was not in series across the outputs, but parallel. the low value resistors were over current.
Old 25th November 2012, 03:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Panson ,

I dont think the snubber (zobel?) components are fitted on this board. The only components near the outputs are capacitors--- no low value R,s as far as I can see .I think I'll just add a large value Electrolytic to the board where the Vss comes on board to buffer the supply when driving the big speakers. The board sounds crystal clear on the little Goodmans so I think Ive scored a winner.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

After removing the heatsink, you can see the RC snubber (red circle).

Enjoy your mods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1370.JPG (374.4 KB, 188 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!