Contest: Linear Power Amp in a mint tin (class Aa, class AB, or class B) - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2012, 09:39 AM   #141
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill View Post
Caught up with Christmas at the moment - I've also been off the site for a few of days as diyAudio is being reported as an 'attack site' by firefox. I've now given in and ignored the warning for now.
The warning was because of a couple of posted links, and although they have been deleted, it will take some time for the warnings to quit.

How goes it with the Class AB minty amp? I think the Class AaG guys are either talking or hibernating rather than doing, so your competition is a couple of chip amplifiers. I've had a redo on mine because I'd like to explore the "compact amplifier" category which has more options than my car chip.
Old 30th December 2012, 11:27 AM   #142
diyAudio Member

It is a bug of Firefox 17.0.1.
Firefox 18 beta or Pale Moon (light Firefox) solves the issue.
Old 30th December 2012, 02:50 PM   #143
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Can I use a screw terminal strip for in/out/pwr connections?
"Electronics" part is a piece of cake, but standard size jacks and plugs take way too much space or directly don't fit in.
Or at least a row of, say, .1" or .156" pitch plug in connectors on some edge?
Really don't know how to fit 2 in jacks, 2 out ones plus a Pwr connector in an Altoids or similar tin can.
Please consider that nobody has posted a finished example yet, I bet space and layout have a big influence on it.
Thanks.
Old 30th December 2012, 03:23 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
Can I use a screw terminal strip for in/out/pwr connections? "Electronics" part is a piece of cake, but standard size jacks and plugs take way too much space or directly don't fit in. Or at least a row of, say, .1" or .156" pitch plug in connectors on some edge? Really don't know how to fit 2 in jacks, 2 out ones plus a Pwr connector in an Altoids or similar tin can. Please consider that nobody has posted a finished example yet, I bet space and layout have a big influence on it. Thanks.
Power connection:
You can hardwire power and so a little rubber grommet can protect the cord.
Or power can use a non-shorting jack, such as a barrel jack--power jack is an option but not a requirement.

Input jack:
An 1/8" stereo jack works for input in little space. Typical uses with television, computer or mp3 player all use 1/8" anyway.
It is also possible to use RCA jacks, but those are slightly more difficult to fit.

Speaker connectors:
These can be a mini 4 terminal spring clip or screw terminals or binding posts or RCA's, which are all non-shorting and available in a wide variety of sizes.

I hope these ideas were helpful.
Old 30th December 2012, 04:12 PM   #145
diyAudio Member

Very off the original contest here I have a question. Could someone take this same original premise and design one of these Altoids amplifiers to drive a set of headphones? I would want to use the output from say an Ipod and amplify it with a better amplifier. Could the power supply then be a second tin with rechargeable lithium or NiMh other battery and drive the circuit instead of an AC power supply?
Old 30th December 2012, 04:45 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

http://www.experimentalistsanonymous...0Amplifier.pdf
Old 30th December 2012, 06:08 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

bobodioulasso,
Thanks for the link. Now I just have to figure out why my PDF viewer keeps crashing! But I did see the parts list on another site and just can't see the schematic yet. It looks like it would be a nice project. Thanks a lot. Anyone build one of these, and what other changes has anyone made to the circuit. I see they talk about oscillation problems with one of the opamps.
Old 30th December 2012, 07:09 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I hope these ideas were helpful.
Dear danielwritesbac, thanks, now I'll have to buy some canned mints or visit my neighbourhood Chinese dollar store. Stay tuned.

Dear Kindhornman: why carry 2 tins (plus the IPod)?
I'll build something like you are asking for, but all in one, as a 1>4 headphone extender/booster.
I hate it when somebody sees me enjoying something and can't share it.
I guess up to 4 headphones will solve that .
I'll post it here.
A couple 3.6V Lithium batteries will be best, but I have some unused 3.6V mini wireless phone battery packs, now they have a new task on Earth The whole shebang fits into a single mint Tin.
Old 30th December 2012, 07:20 PM   #149
diyAudio Member

jmFahey,
I'll look forward to see what you propose. I told my daughter about the little tin amplifier and she jumped at the chance to build something like that. She wants to become an engineer so perhaps this will help her decide what type she may want to be. The one that bobodioulasso posted was running on a 9v battery.
Old 30th December 2012, 07:26 PM   #150
diyAudio Member

OK.
It will be very simple and use 2 LM386, so it can run from 4.5V to 9V .
Even 12V since it won't drive speakers.
I congratulate you on your Daughter.
Mine dropped out of School and is "working" at Mc D. , go figure.

Hide this!Advertise here!