TDA2030 Hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just completed a 2030A kit from ebay. When I hooked it up to the power supply (2x9V) all I get is a hum. No music just a hum. I have tried connecting it in both series and parallel and to a different transformer with same result. I've looked carefully at the board but can't see any obvious problems.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I had planned on replacing all the caps systematically to do some listening tests as I go along. But now I'm not sure this thing is worth the cost of the new components.

Attachments

• TDA2030A - 1.jpg
    TDA2030A - 1.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 243
  • YDA2030A - 2.jpg
    YDA2030A - 2.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 226
short the input. -> is the hum still there?
make sure to check all solder points again, reheat if You are uncertain. -> is the humm still there?

If the input is "floating" -i.e. not connected to anything- it acts like an antenna picking up junk only.
Mostly its not humm, but it CAN be.

That one was damaged when the package came from China. This kit was supposed to have Chemicon and Panasonic capacitors but all it had was cheep Chinese crap. I had planned on replacing the caps when I get it up and running.
I just tried running it with a 12v wall wart - no hum but no sound either. This evening I am going re re-wire the inputs with some proper wire.

The missing resistor is now supposed to be used in the OCL circuit. I was wondering about the pot. I didn't want to use the on board one so haven't wired up the one I will be using. I was hoping to get the problem of the hum resolved first.
Could the damaged cap cause the hum?

Where does the green wire go on the supply in? I see only two wires off the transformer's secondary. Unless it is out of the picture, the green wire must be connected to the center tap on the transformer's secondary.

use a 40 watt bulb tester when setting this thing up.

Part 2: I replaced all the caps and have had 50% success. One channel is working quite well. There is a very slight hum. The other channel has no audio and a loud hum. I have narrowed the problem down somewhat. By removing one of the caps (C8) the hum is gone but there is no audio. I have tried 2 caps at this location with the same result.
I'm stumped :confused:

Attachments

• 2030 2 .jpg
    2030 2 .jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 107
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.