AMP quality of studio monitors (generally) really low grade? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2012, 10:16 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

You plan to upgrade and You wan't to listen to music.

then why look at powered studio monitors?
Would not it be better to just make an active 3 way system?
passive crossovers are hard to make for 3 way speakers, but an active 3 way is not realy more complicated than a 2 way.
choosing the proper drivers overlapping in freqvency response actualy makes an active crossover build quite easy.
the minimalistic TDA builds found on this forum makes power amplifier building more than easy.

however, i would consider a calibrated mic for mesuring response of the system.
so you can adjust a software EQ to include the properitys of the room You listen music to.

I bet its far superior to any studio monitor, and in many cases it could be even cheaper.

At least if i was to realy upgrade, and want something realy better, then this would be my route.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:55 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answer and suggestions!

I want studio monitors, because i'm in small room, and i absolutely have no space to use Hi-Fi setup, monitors would be best bet, other then the small dimensions, 5x4m, the other problem is that the room is full of stuff cranked up.

I really respect your opinions, and i understand that they are the correct option, but i got limitations which i cant get past by, so in short i'm left with small studio monitors, and would like to know what you guys think about the models pointed on the previous page?

Also how much does calibrated mic/software cost?

Thanks in advance!
Old 21st November 2012, 12:31 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I would choose the 7" midwoofer with no hesitation.
Though i wouln't buy without listening first.
Old 21st November 2012, 01:08 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Sorry guys, i didn't see the previous page with the latest answers!
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:33 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

oh come on, sapce issues ?
be creative.

Tellme, what is the space You can afford to put speakers to ?
it can be done with a 2.1 setup.
As for the "where should the sub go" stuff, I bet if You want, you can find numerous places to hide it.
Allso , choosing the right drivers and the right boxes and aligment can help to reduce space.
There are far too many tricks for that.
Allso, with an active setup and EQ , depending on drivers and aligment, you can go a lot smaller than ideal, and just abuse the powerhandling.
If You have a free corner for example, a box with a triangle base is just good for the task, volume is no problem, a bix can reach the celling if needed. 2 small boxes with midbass and tweeter can be mounted on the wall. Or a sub can go right under the bed too.
There are soo many options that i don't see its possible to NOT have enough space
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:51 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

OK since you asked about the speakers you linked to, and ONLY going off the specs and AS you don't want a small powered sub, then none of them.
But that is only my own opinion.
Small subwoofers are very very easy to fit in, heck we have 7 in the front room ( that's just for the HT, there are also the 3 for the stereo so there is ALWAYS room.
Remember we said small, about a cubic foot and an 8 or 10 inch sub-woofer driver.
You asked us for our advice, here's mine, keep what you have for the short term, get a reasonable quality small subwoofer with a good quality amplifier as Sreten suggested. Use it for a while and then make a decision on upgrading.
The only "Studio Monitor" I have heard that had reasonable reproduction ( to my old ears" was a large Mackie using the old Vifa P-21 woofer, long time ago
Old 22nd November 2012, 03:43 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Guys, keep in mind i will be putting the speakers on computer desk, (relatively small) i will listen music from my pc, (FLAC mostly) i don't plan to move around stuff (desks) in my cramped room, to reconnect tons of cables just to get Hi-Fi setup, maybe i could use woofer, but issue being, now i got itch to upgrade my speakers no matter what, i just droll to KH 120/CMS 50, and i can't help my self!

Thanks all for the suggestions and answers, i really appreciate It but it is stronger then me! so lets focus on the monitors i pointed if its possible? thanks one more time!
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:05 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Dazed you are in the wrong forum.
This is DIY Audio
And the speakers you ask about?
Cheap c**p as are most small monitors
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:19 PM   #29
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

dazed1 has A3X's and generally likes them, but asked then to do things (levels) they can't, running out of headroom. That's NOT a design/build quality issue.

In his situation I would try get a listen to a few speakers in his allowed price range and check if their output and sound is OK for the needs.

The Neumann sports a soft limiter that can keep the amps from excessive clipping. And it may sound different than the Adams in general, same for the Focals.

Last edited by KSTR; 22nd November 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 24th November 2012, 04:41 PM   #30
C37 is offline C37  Belgium
diyAudio Member

- Edit: did'nt see there was a page 2 :-)

Last edited by C37; 24th November 2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: did'nt see there was a page 2

Hide this!Advertise here!