AMP quality of studio monitors (generally) really low grade? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2012, 05:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, will think about it
Old 18th November 2012, 11:12 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ok thanks for the help.
Old 18th November 2012, 11:29 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Delete
Old 20th November 2012, 04:08 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

It has a 4.5" woofer and a 2-way design.
The greater the woofer movement, the worse the vocal range distortion.
That is expected--it is a monitor speaker, not a sound reinforcement speaker.
The onboard 25 watt amplifier is powerful enough to ruin the resolution of most 2 way speakers, more the fault of the speaker design than the amplifier. No need to blame the amp.
To expand the power handling of the speakers you already own, it is possible to install a bass blocker aimed at low pitches that the speaker cannot reproduce and it would perform slightly better without all the extraneous workload. There's not often a need to ask 4.5" woofers for 20hz.

You could put a bass blocker on the existing speakers and then use a subwoofer -or- you could upgrade to 3-way monitors.

A 3-way monitor can handle more amplifier power more gracefully, depending on build quality and x-max of course. With the 3-way when the woofer moves a lot, this does not scramble the vocal range because vocals come out of the midrange speaker driver. The 3-way speaker lets us Avoid putting vocals through a madly moving woofer.

A "wideband design" refers to a special type of 3 way speaker, which has a hi-fi full range (or wide band) driver covering a lot of the audio band, plus helper woofers, plus helper tweeter. Here is an example of a wideband type monitor. Statements_Monitor

P.S.
Bob Cordell also has a circuit called the Klever Klipper that is a high speed compressor soft clip combo that can help in headroom management. It can be used in combination with ClipNipper if louder playback is desired. Whatever excesses escape the ClipNipper will be captured by the fast Klever Klipper and softly rounded, which is better than audible distortion. You can also choose to block bass pitches that are lower than speaker capacity. This team of 3 accessories can have your little monitor speakers playing dramatically louder, with low distortion.
Software:
There are also digital software-based limiters that you could use with your computer. Also the software based equalizers could be useful if they have many bass bands to choose from so you can reduce inaudible subharmonic output that pointlessly overworks the little speakers.

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 20th November 2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 20th November 2012, 01:40 PM   #15
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not all active speakers use chip amps or low quality parts. It's also worth pointing out that the amplifier in an active speaker is driving a known loudspeaker load, so it doesn't require the 'just in case', heavy current build of a general purpose power amp.

The common figure quoted is that an active system with (say) 2 x 25w amplifiers will go as loud as a passive speaker rated at 100w (given all the drivers are a similar sensitivity).

I'd go with the others and suggest a sub rather than an upgrade. If you want to go higher on the main speakers, I can recommend the AVI ADM9s which I use here. They have discrete amplifiers throughout, 250w for bass/mid and 75w for the treble. They also have a built in preamp and DAC, so may not be precisely what you need. However they do go loud, enabling them to avoid clipping on peaks when listening to symphonic music. but like your Adams, they are a small monitor so need a sub if you want to explore below 50Hz. (I've measure 45Hz in room but a sub does add a bit of weight and depth to the sound.)
Old 20th November 2012, 06:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for the explanation! some great stuff there!

And back to my previous questions, i respect your opinions and i have tought about adding a sub, but i got the itch to upgrade, and its stronger then me

So please, excuse my ignorance, and give me suggestions about what would be the best option from this 3 speakers,

A7x vs Neuman KH 120 vs CMS 50, thanks!
Old 20th November 2012, 06:33 PM   #17
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If you can't bothered to post links I can't be bothered to look them up.

rgds, sreten.

Adding (a) proper subwoofer(s) correctly is the way to go.
Two DIY towers / stands one sub amplifier probably best.
Old 20th November 2012, 06:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Sorry, i tought you guys are familiar with the models, sorry again!

here are the links!

CMS 50. Focal Professional studio monitor loudspeakers

Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-aud...7x/description
Old 21st November 2012, 02:22 AM   #19
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Personally I like the look of the A7X the least. It looks 'over done' to me, uses a 100W Class D amp for the woofer - excessive in my opinion so more about marketing than sound.

Between the other two it's hard to tell from the specs, both look good on paper depending on your goals. The KH120 does seem to be designed to offer good horizontal dispersion, something that people like Earl Geddes says is very important and a deficiency in most speakers.

But whatever you do, don't assume you can pick a good speaker from a specification. There is only one way to know if a speaker is good or not good - you have to listen to it. There is no other way. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Trust your ears. Listen to music you know and like, ensure the salesman hasn't screwed up the demo by cranking up the bass or moving the speaker off it's neutral settings in order to impress you with a particular sound that will be impressive for about 1 minute but over the long term will be annoying. If you have to buy to listen make sure you have a return policy.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 21st November 2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 21st November 2012, 02:34 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

No opinion, as I think a small powered sub is the best way to go, but I had to laugh when I saw that a piece of paper giving you a product warranty was listed as in inclusion.
There is a thread somewhere discussing powered monitors ( it isn't really a DIY thing) and the best reviewed product seemed to be the cheaper Behringer speakers

Hide this!Advertise here!