toroidal transfomrmer shield - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2012, 03:30 AM   #1
smigza is offline smigza  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default toroidal transfomrmer shield

Hi all,

I am currently building a gainclone amplifier, and would like to be able to fit everything into one enclosure. The issue I am having is that in order to achieve this I must mount one LM3875 board and the power supply regulator board near the toroidal transformer.

I have therefore decided to explore the possibility of shielding the transformer, however I am concerned that this may not provide enough EM attenuation between the transformer and the two circuit boards.

I have attached a photo which shows a draft layout, can someone please comment as to whether or not there will be any issues by choosing this design, or if I'm better off mounting the transformer in another case.

Thanks,

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg draft_AMP_LAYOUT.jpg (104.9 KB, 167 views)
Old 17th November 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is a link to a build showing how one person approached the problem.
Old 17th November 2012, 09:45 AM   #3
smigza is offline smigza  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link Bob.

Very interesting that he had no EMI coupling issues, especially when the pcb tracks were directly above the toroidal transformer and none of the audio signal lines were shielded. Kind of makes sense as the magnetic field should not leak out of the toroid, and the em field would be distributed around all of the loops.

I'm guessing that if this design worked for him, then since I am planning on having all signal cables shielded and will still put a shield around the toroid, I shouldn't have any issues then. This is good, as I can make my amp fully integrated

Hide this!Advertise here!