Oops. Popped LM3886?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building an LM3886-based chip amp. One channel is working, decided to throw the other one together tonight and stupidly managed to connect the V- rail directly to pin 8 (the mute pin) rather than pin 4. I heard a funny noise and the negative rail went to full -ve.

Turned it off straight away and corrected the wiring, but now the chip does nothing but show full negative voltage on the speaker output. Have I popped it? Is it a usual failure mode for these things?

Rather peed off at myself, given that these things cost over a fiver each. :mad:

The mute pin is connected to the input stage.
It's likely you flashed Vcc right through all the components in that input stage.

This may well be the first mis-wiring that a bulb tester cannot protect against !

I bought some amp ICs from ebay. One came with a supply rail on the output pin right from the seller. The bulb tester wouldn't have helped there either. :D

The bulb tester would have helped save the speaker though.:(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.