Has anyone ever had experience with MUSE opamps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And when I know that most powered studio monitors out there are running their output buffer after 6 x 4558 or 6 x 4580 opamps (usually made by ST, 'cause are better than originals from JRC/NJR). :) So, input stage & low/high pass filters are working around these opamps on KRK, JBL, Mackie, Behringer etc. Looks like the new 4558 made by ST is quite decent after all: http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resou...df/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00000478.pdf.

So, a very good "wire with gain" doesn't really needs to be expensive, just needs to be good enough for use within audio field. Though, I need to admit that when headphones are in place and higher gains need to be used, then ST4558 or MC4558 are not low-noise enough, so something better will need to be used.

Probably this is why me and others here love opamp rolling, because its fun and even the tiniest improvement in an audio chain means a positive reaction. :)

Last edited:
Opamps for the Better

My own conclusions with MUSES:

In I/V stage:
- MUSES8920 is very balanced and could be used in I/V stages without worries, because this is what this OPAMP has been made for. Sound is neutral and balanced with good sound-stage.
- MUSES01 outclasses all the OPAMPs from above when used in I/V stage of a DAC. Sound-stage increases, sound becomes more detailed without being harsh or sounding bright. It sounds so neutral like a NE5532, but more spacious and with a lot of details. MUSES01 is really the best OPAMP I ever tried in I/V stage, so I strongly recommend it. I bought 8 of them: 4 for myself and 4 for a friend of mine having the same DAC as mine (a small fortune, I know).

- In LPF, VAS and BUFFER stages:
Here MUSES02 and MUSES8820 are very similar: neutral and good sounding, detailed and very balanced sound. On my DAC differences between 8820 and 02 were very subtle (a little bit of more sound-stage for the MUSES02, but quite subtle I'd say), so I went for the MUSES8820 instead because I needed 4 of them and I didn't want it to spend a small fortune again for such a small difference in sound. Of course, if you want the best sound, you should probably go for the MUSES02 instead of 8820.

Regards,
Raul.

in I/V stage I still recommend MUSES 01, unless other DIY circuits are used (like passive I/V).

-----------------------

Dear Raoul,

I am the happy owner of an Asus Essence STX II, and I wish to maximize its potential. I am especially interested in its daughter-board with individual RCA connections for a 5.1 system, since my audio system (a Microlab H600) only
has this option.

I am again fortunate to be able to buy a number of Muses opamps, but I would welcome your advice on WHERE and WHAT - that is, for which part of the audio card I should buy what opamps. I am ignorant in electronics , but not so ignorant in audio quality.

I understand that the daughterboard opamps on the Essence soundcard are of a lesser level than the ones on the stereo output. In this case, should I buy 6 high-quality opamps for the 5.1 output? I am both able and willing, but I wish to know that this is a good idea.
As I understand it from you, I should buy 6 (six) Muses01 (as many as on the daughterboard), and then some 8820.

What about the other parts of the card? What are the I/V stage, the LPF, VAS and BUFFER stages?
What should I buy for them, so that I upgrade harmoniously the entire audio card?
All this while keeping in mind I will use the 5.1 output, and that I have my mind set on Muses opamps.

Looking forward for your opinion!

Serban

Hi all,

Tried few OPAMPs myself in I/V, LPF, VAS and BUFFER stages with my Essence One DAC/headamp, like: NE5532, LM4562, NJR2114, OPA1602, LME49720, MUSES8820, MUSES8920, OPA2604, OPA1642, OPA2132PA, AD8672, AD8599, MUSES01, MUSES02.

My own conclusions with MUSES:

In I/V stage:
- MUSES8920 is very balanced and could be used in I/V stages without worries, because this is what this OPAMP has been made for. Sound is neutral and balanced with good sound-stage.
- MUSES01 outclasses all the OPAMPs from above when used in I/V stage of a DAC. Sound-stage increases, sound becomes more detailed without being harsh or sounding bright. It sounds so neutral like a NE5532, but more spacious and with a lot of details. MUSES01 is really the best OPAMP I ever tried in I/V stage, so I strongly recommend it. I bought 8 of them: 4 for myself and 4 for a friend of mine having the same DAC as mine (a small fortune, I know).

- In LPF, VAS and BUFFER stages:
Here MUSES02 and MUSES8820 are very similar: neutral and good sounding, detailed and very balanced sound. On my DAC differences between 8820 and 02 were very subtle (a little bit of more sound-stage for the MUSES02, but quite subtle I'd say), so I went for the MUSES8820 instead because I needed 4 of them and I didn't want it to spend a small fortune again for such a small difference in sound. Of course, if you want the best sound, you should probably go for the MUSES02 instead of 8820.

I bought my MUSES from PROFUSION UK, authorised dealer in EU. I don't recommend eBay for buying these OPAMPs, sorry.

Regards,
Raul.

P.S.: Solid state Burson SS V5 OPAMPs should be a good upgrade over the MUSES02 when used in LPF, VAS and BUFFER stages. Instead, in I/V stage I still recommend MUSES 01, unless other DIY circuits are used (like passive I/V).

P.P.S.: I used 2 identical DACs and a passive DIY A/B testing device to compare all of the above OPAMPs!

Total Agree. I have a AK4396 DAC (china made) which use a singe dual opamp at output stage. It comes with an NE5532.
I've tried replacing it with a number of opamp (OPA2314,LT1057,LT1364,OP275,OPA2604,LME49860). I cannot tell excactly
what the differences are because it is very subjective but the truths is they all sounds a bit different. Before Muses01, I like LME49860 the most until early this year I purchased muses01 and muses02 at ~$30 each at Osaka. muses01 sounds far superior than all the other opamp I've at hand. Muses02 it not very good with my DAC. I may make a simple phono amp to test it later. IMO, muses01 at $30 really worth the money.

Muses02 vs BB OPA2134 in Topping A30 (single-ended to differential buffer)

Rig includes: Topping A30 and D30, HD600s (vintage 2017) with HD650 (genuine Sennheiser replacement part) 3m cable (1.4" plug).

At the risk of immediately coming across as exaggerated and/or hyped -- the "battle" was simply an epic slaughter! Many peeps believe the 2134 is a "pretty decent" op amp, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree. However, based on the replacement results I've achieved, I would have to say the "systems" fundamental linearity (in musical terms) was seriously "compromised" by the stock configuration. Of course the A30 is designed/built to a rather aggressive price point -- and as such -- component decisions were made to accommodate that.

A little background
As a 35+ year audiophile and (past life) high-end audio manufacturer (about 15 years) I have spent literally thousands of hours evaluating the "sound" of passive and active components -- from toggles switches (differing metallurgy, plating etc.) to output power FETs. That said, I have what some might term as a "trained" ear, or well exercised critical listening skills -- tho of course at 60 I am no longer at the pinnacle of my personal frequency response!

So here's the once over
Thorough *** kicking includes domination at the frequency extremes, lower IM, superior transient accuracy, harmonics (ascending descending), inter-transient silence (i.e., space between notes) , speed, transparency/resolution/low level decay etc. Overall sense of natural musicality including stage width/depth and spatio-temporal precision (instrument placement + phase relationship). Like I said, just a good old fashioned total *** kicking.

On certain pieces of music (obviously better quality recordings are more demonstrative) it's literally transformative -- akin to listening to an entirely different (superior) version of the same recording (regardless of native resolution).

Seriously. Highly. Recommended!

Hello, I am planning to upgrade a car audio electronic crossover. (Zapco ASP-X4)
It's a 4 way xover but I am going to utilize only 2 way.
for the 2 way I am going to use, it uses 7 pieces of OP275 Op-Amp/way, which mean I will need to replace 14 pieces of OP275 Op-Amp.

From looking at the PCB board, I am guessing the first 2 op-amp (out of 7 op-amp/way) is related to the Input Stages since it is closest to the Input RCA jack.
My original plan was to replace the 2 input stage OP-275 with LME49860 because Zapco replace the OP-275 in their latest AP model power amplifer to LME 49720 (and LME 49860 is a better 49720).
Then I will replace the remaining 5 OP275 after the input stage with Muses01...

But now I have doubt whether the LME49860 will be able to replace the OP275 without any modification (decoupling caps etc)...
Also, will Mouses01 sound better at the input stage than LME49860?

another choices would be Muses8920 at the input stages...

Please give your input, which op-amp do you think will suit the input stages better, to replace the OP-275? is it the Muses01, Muses 8920 or LME49860?

Thank You

note: below is the picture of the PCB and the cover:
80-img_2199_a181f4b5f9ca37e3fcef3200eb273b83027d5553.jpg

80-zapco_asp_x4_pid_41155_4e9b10f040151d9719dac1f40b6d7c43909e35ee.jpg

I'm replying to this post in particular because of the listed opamps .

In my Xonar STX I currently have 1x LM6172 in thje buffer section and 2x OPA2111KP in the I/V stage . I'm liking the sound more than the standard LM4562 and JRC 2114D’s , even though these are pretty impressive themselves ( if you look at the spec sheets ) . Very impressive specs from LM6172 ( see data sheet in link provided above ) , ridiculously high slew rate , and very low 2nd and 3rd harmonics . Timbre appears to be natural and realistic . Good , wide and deep soundstage . I'm still going to try a couple of other BB's in place of the OPA2111's to hear the difference .

I did try LME49720 in the buffer , but prefer LM6172 .

Listening to FLAC of Bruch's Violin concerto no.1 , Slovenian Philharmonic conducted by Stephen Gunzenhauser , over EL821 PP to B&W DM12's - SQ is immaculate . :)

Regards
Ari

I agree with your comments regarding the LM6172, its a very good I/V opamp. It has incredible detail, the highs are nice but not bright, bass was taught, and its lively. If you like smooth, best look elsewhere.

Last edited:
I agree with your comments regarding the LM6172, its a very good I/V opamp. It has incredible detail, the highs are nice but not bright, bass was taught, and its lively. If you like smooth, best look elsewhere.

Hey Luke - yes I like detailed highs , but not searing , like ECC83 in tubes always sound "hot" to me , and will likely be replaced by an ECC82 . The other solution is to toy with operating point , often lower voltages yield better results .

I Have it up and running

Replaced the op amp in Yamaha A-760 witch i use every day, with MUSES 2

and the sound improved quite a bit. it was my first op amp upgrade. did not expect that much improvement.. i was playing from Cambridge Audio Azur 740C. when i find time i will do an experiment, got a shitload of all kind of op amps. hope that was helpful.........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.