diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   Basic (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/223181-basic.html)

Rahza 9th November 2012 12:50 AM

Basic

hey guys i am new here and actually new in the project field. so how do i go about starting making my own amp with minimal start up price???

bcmbob 9th November 2012 10:36 AM

Welcome to the hobby!

We have all been where you are. Need a lot of information.
1. Separate power and/or preamp.
2. Projected source - CD, Phono, Computer, DAC
3. Associated Speakers or simple earphones
4. 2 Ch stereo or multi channel
5. High quality or just general listening.

A bunch more but that will be a start.

Rahza 10th November 2012 02:34 AM

Thanks al
1) Separate power
2)am\fm receiver+1 input jack+1 rca input
3)2 way speaker output with headphone jack
4) 2 ch stereo
5)general listening

danielwritesbac 10th November 2012 07:20 AM

Here is your headphone jack: Headphone Adaptor for Power Amplifiers

sofaspud 10th November 2012 08:13 AM

In consideration of a) noobness and b) minimal start-up price, I suggest just buying a secondhand AM/FM tuner to use with your DIY power amp.

AndrewT 10th November 2012 01:53 PM

read decibel dungeon.
He has a few very affordable builds in there with much detail to help towards a successful first build.
Start mono.
Get it all working.
Then decide how big, or small, a box is needed to get all that equipment inside, neatly and easily maintained.
Finish that mono block and use it while you work on your next project.

Now the real test. Try to make a stereo amplifier that works as well as that first monoblock. When you have done that, then you're ready to add on bells and whistles to make some really good well protected amplifiers. After you have all this, then you are ready to buy the second box to fit that second amplifier. with all the added bells and whistles and start listening to permanent stereo.

And you will need some tools. DD may help there as well.
Buy a 500gm reel of 20awg/swg 63/37 leaded solder.

nigel pearson 10th November 2012 03:27 PM

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid...man-k8060.html

I have read some negative comments about this very simple and cheap Velleman Kit . To me it looks ideal if wanting to learn about electronics . I suspect with a little adjustment it could be made into something rather good . The power supply , case and heat sink will cost far more than the kits . If it is decided to upgrade all those parts can be reused . The BC639/640 are compatible with the pin arrangement's of Japaneses transistors ( 2SA1085 and 2SC2910 from memory ) . The output transistor could be upgraded by making a discreet Darlington . The output protection could be removed if your don't intend to party with it . Some would dislike it's 1970's simplicity . Myself , I like that . Bootstraps instead of current sources . Again I like that . Also the design is a bit more sophisticated than some would think . Velleman do say level of complexity 5 , 1 being for beginners . To be frank anything worth the effort will be of this level . I have been following a Naim Clone kit thread on DIY Audio ( NAP 140 ) . These unlike the Velleman kits would challenge a beginner . Often there is doubt about the quality of parts offered , not so Velleman . If I were teaching electronics as a night class for example this kit would be what I would choose .

RS UK stock a very cheap PCB for chips like TDA2030 ( 2040 2050 ? ) . If you do a bit of reading that might be an answer .
Buy Audio Amplifier Printed Circuit Boards TDA2030 PCB audioamplifier,10W 79x63.5mm One Way Circuits M12653 online from RS for next day delivery.

http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/70-4316.pdf

bcmbob 10th November 2012 03:45 PM

RaHza

I'm going back to basics on a new chip flavor with this kit. You can purchase a mono setup at the same site.The vendor is very good with customer support if you get stuck. You can of course go all the way back to making your own board or breadboard assembly (per Andrew & Daniel) for even more learning and adventure :)

AndrewT 10th November 2012 04:59 PM

That Jim's Audio link offers a good price for two amplifiers.
Don't use the BTL option.
180W into 8r0 indicates that each half is delivering 90W into 4r0.
The single version is specified at 60W into 8r0.
The difference shows that the output voltage has collapsed try to drive the 4r0 load.
It will be even worse when BTL is trying to drive an 8ohms speaker.

Count these as good value 60W into 8ohms amplifiers with that specified Dual Supply Rail voltage.
Jim's had very poor customer support in the past. Many builders had to look here to try to sort their kit builds.
Things seemed to have improved judging by the (infrequent) reports I have seen on the Forum more recently.

bcmbob 10th November 2012 08:37 PM

Same thing from a different vendor. This guy is currently active on this forum.