Replacing "volume" pot - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2012, 12:19 AM   #1
mat3833 is offline mat3833  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Replacing "volume" pot

ok, so i found an amp to run my subs that will work with my factory speakers, however the "level" control for the sub section is broken. i took the amp cover off and the pot broke off from the board. the pot is labled a50K. since this amp can provide MUCH more power than i need i am wondering if i can replace the 50K pot with a higher ohm pot to get a lower "Minimum" setting for the volume while still allowing max power at the "maximum" setting.

or am i completley wrong in thinking pots work this way. and by pot i mean Potentiometer, i just hate typing that word out....

Matt
Old 9th November 2012, 12:46 AM   #2
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Going to 100K will not change your minimum volume level.

The "a" probably means audio taper.

If you could find the schematic then someone here could advise you of the effects of changing the pot to a different value.

IMHO: try to get the same value/taper as the original.
Old 9th November 2012, 01:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

ok, well its a Harmon Kardon Sub-TS2. ive been looking for a schematic and havent found one yet. hopefully i can find one.

i can get another 50K pot for like 2 bux and then it will work like new. the best part is i found it on the side of the road. the actual enclosure is cracked and leaking and the volume pot is bad, but the damn thing works fine asside from that. even the sub works!
Old 9th November 2012, 04:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

ok, another question. i found a diagram for my Klipsch plate amp that has the sub channel blown and since i dont think that the HK sub has a built in crossover i need to send a "filtered" signal to it. im wondering if i can tap into the klipsch amp at some point to get an unamped but low-passed signal i can feed the HK sub to keep me from having to go out and get or build a low pass filter. here is the link to the Klipsch schematics: <meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s

if there is nowhere to tap into it ill probobly end up getting a simple in-line RCA low-pass filter, even tho i would prefer an adjustable one. thanks in advance guys.

Matt
Old 9th November 2012, 10:57 AM   #5
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sub-pod or LF-IN on PO1 is the filtered sub signal.
Old 9th November 2012, 04:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

so on the second diagram its #1 on the conector labled P104? and my amp has 3 imputs. the usual red + white and then a "sub" imput. im guessing i can tap into that signal and run a single RCA to the "sub" imput? then i should be able to control the volume of the "new" sub somewhat through the control pod on the Klipsch correct?

i still havent found a diagram for the HK system. i emailed HK about it and should expect a reply today or tomorrow.

Matt

Hide this!Advertise here!