TDA 7294 2.1 power supply? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2012, 07:21 PM   #1
mat3833 is offline mat3833  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TDA 7294 2.1 power supply?

hi, im new to the forums here and recently i find myself in need of a 2.1 channel amp to run some satelite speakers and 2 subs for my bedroom. i did some searching and couldnt find a "premade" amp that fit my power needs for the subwoofer channel. i found this on ebay:

New TDA7294 2X80W 160W Subwoofer 2 1 Channe L Board Brandnew | eBay

it states that i will need a power supply. i read a few articles on here about choosing a powersupply and honestly, im still lost. i am not new to audio, but this DIY amp deal is a new breed of beast.

the amp will be powering 2 satelite speakers from a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and 2 Image Dynamics ID8v3 subwoofers with D4 coils. nominal load for the sub chanel can be 4 ohms or 1 ohm. the satelite speakers have an unknown ohm rating but i would guess either 4 or 8 ohm. i really only need ~ 40W for each satelite, but these subs are rated at 300W rms(conservatively in my car they have both been powered with 500W each and wanted more) and they will be in a VERY low tuned enclosure so the more power to them the better.

if anyone can point me in the direction of a completed amp with similar specs to the link posted that includes a power supply or even just a power supply that can deliver the needed voltage/amperage to run the amp at full power i would apreciate it.

thank you for your time.

Matt
Old 30th October 2012, 09:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

you only need a transformer. go for 2x18V 400VA or bigger.
Old 30th October 2012, 09:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i have no idea what that means... ive only ever delt with DC power.

Matt
Old 30th October 2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

A transformer is used to convert the voltage coming out of your wall socket (120v in north america and 240v in europe) into the voltage needed for your particular application (20v-0v-20v AC) , VA of a transformer denotes the amount of current it can deliver......
The proper transformer will probably cost you a lot more than the amp board ......

Since this project entails wiring high current AC i would suggest you not go forward with it untill you understand what you are dealing with , you don"t want to electrocute yourself .......
Also realize that this amp board might be sold as a kit (it doesn"t say if it is assembled or not) which means you might have to solder every component on the board ......

Also you will have to use a 8 ohm subwoofer as the subwoofer can only drive 8 ohms , of your two subs are 4 ohms you could wire them in series for 8 ohms .....

Last edited by Minion; 30th October 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

i can wire AC stuff. ive wired a few wall sockets as well as a fan or two. i just wasnt sure what 20v-0-20v ment. and my subs are a Dual 4 ohm voice coil. basicly each sub can be wired to 8 ohms or 2 ohms. so i guess this amp wont work for my needs then.

Matt
Old 31st October 2012, 12:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Sounds like you're wanting one or two of these to drive your subs : 7x TDA7293 in Parallel 555W Mono Power Amplifier Board Assembled | eBay

Being a paralleled amp, it'll drive a 1ohm load without breaking too much of a sweat (hopefully, assuming competent design and layout).
Old 31st October 2012, 04:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

ok, so after doing a little bit of digging ive decided to try and convince my better half to let me pick and choose componants to power all three speakers. now i just need a bit of help deciding what to get. i would love to run 1000w to my subs but after some consideration i feel it would be a bit much considering my current full range speaker settup. so here is what i have come up with:

to power my subs.
http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/250W-...item19cd5018e6

to power my satelites:
High Performance 68WX2 LM3886 Audio Amplifier Board with Power Regulator Board | eBay

master volume control:
New BK Version PGA2311 LCD Remote Volume Control Pre Amplifier with Memory Save | eBay

and a case for the 2 channel amp:
Black Aluminium Chassis DIY Audio Power Amplifier Enclosure Metal Case Vol Pot | eBay?

hopefully im not missing anything. and moreover i hope everything works like i think it will. 2 channel amp and sub amp get their full range signal from the pre-amp, the sub has a LPF that i can set from 150hz to 35hz as well as a sub level control. unfortunatly the 2 channel part doesnt have a mids/highs level adjustment.

i would love to get the kit and assemble it myself(i made a few robots/fan controls for high school projects. not super experianced but my soldering skills are above average) but i dont have the workspace or the tools to assemble any kits.

honestly if i could somehow incorperate the sub amp into the 2 channel amp and have sub, mid, and highs adjustment seperate from the main volume i would be really happy. i just have a feeling that with such underpowered full range speakers im going to have trouble blending the subs with whatever im listening to or watching(it is really fun to make the walls rattle tho, haha). i was considering 1 4.1 type settup or a 5.1 settup, but even getting a new sub amp might be pushing my limits right now. hopefully someone can shed some light on my ideas and point me in the direction of a good, solid settup that i can enjoy for years to come.

Matt
Old 31st October 2012, 10:47 PM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

have you looked at the ESP site yet?
Old 31st October 2012, 11:52 PM   #9
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well , The Chassis is too small (the needed transformer and heatsinks will dwarf the size of that chassis), you don"t have a transformer nor do you indicate you have a heatsink large enough for the amp you want to build ....
you would need a transformer of about 500Va for each sub kit and a 200Va for the stereo LM3886 kit , you will also need quite a large heasink that can accomidate all those chips ......
You might also need a beefier PSU board than the one that comes with the LM3886 kit ......
A preamp may or may not be needed depending on your audio source .....
Old 1st November 2012, 01:34 AM   #10
Art M is offline Art M  United States
diyAudio Member

Could you supply us with the Schematics for these amplifiers and other electronics. Vendor Specifications are often misguided and of limited use, especially when circuits don't function as expected. It is my belief that the Schematic is central to the practice of DIY electronics.

Hide this!Advertise here!