feedback resistor value question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

In the pre-amp section of my integrated amplifier there are (2) 17k8 resistors which are the feedback resistors. 1 for each channel.

I cannot find a good quality 17.8k resistor. What will happen if I change this value slightly?.

I was thinking of 18k.

Is it a worthwhile cause to upgrade this resistor to a caddock or vishay?

Any input or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
KevinLee:)

Nothing much will happen. For peace of mind you should check the resistors which tie the - input to ground in order to calculate the gain but the change will likely be minute. Resistor sound is very much a personal choice and you should buy a few different makes and experiment in order to take the right decision.

KevinLee said:
Hello,

In the pre-amp section of my integrated amplifier there are (2) 17k8 resistors which are the feedback resistors. 1 for each channel.

I cannot find a good quality 17.8k resistor. What will happen if I change this value slightly?.

I was thinking of 18k.

Is it a worthwhile cause to upgrade this resistor to a caddock or vishay?

Any input or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
KevinLee:)
The difference between 18k and 17k8 is 0.09705 dB approx. = not very much

Vishay makes good and normal industrial quality resistors, work good in most cases.

What type or brand did you have now?

Hello,

What are peoples favorite resistors for this application?

Caddock MK132, Tantalum, Vishay Bulk metal Foil, Draloric SMA-0207, Vishay CMF Type RN, are all types I am considering.

Any preferences of the above types for feedback circuits?

Thanks

KevinLee

PS. I am using OPA627 as my opeamp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.