a 12v amp, looking for chip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well im kind of new here, but i would like to make a "boom box" powered by a 12v battery, and would like an output of about 25 to 50w... can anyone suggest a chip wich wouldent be hard to find, and would work for me?

also a schematic of how to apply the chip would be nice ^^

The world is your oyster. There are all sorts of amplifier chips intended for use in car audio. For example, the TDA7377 gives 2x20W or 4x6W into 4 ohm.

A clear winner on power would be the TDA1562, giving a whopping 70W. You didn't say how big your battery was. Battery life will ultimately determine what to use.

For maximum battery life, you should look at a Class D amp. There are some threads on portable boomboxes using this technology, such as this one:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/104402-boominator-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine.html

i think ill roll with tda8560, but i want to be sure about some things
first of all... would i need some sort of preamp, before running the signal through the chip
second of all... should i use the circuit in the datasheet?
and last... i just want to make sure that it would run just fne on 12 volts, couse the datasheet says 14.4 volts, but i guess its because thats how much car can give out with the generator running, and it runs just fine on 12 volts as well (it would be kind of stupid if speaker volume went down, when the car isnt running)

I would go for the TDA1557. I have designed a pcb for it and my first prototype had loud clicks on the speakers when switching it on so I added a power on delay part to the circuit to pin 11 to allow the amp to settle before the amp powered the speakers. I also designed the pcb with an opamp buffer as a preamp so no need for a separate preamp. It's a great sounding amp.

Mac

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/215967-diy-loudspeaker-construction.html

http://novelbooks.weebly.com/index.html

Last edited:
I would go for the TDA1557. I have designed a pcb for it and my first prototype had loud clicks on the speakers when switching it on so I added a power on delay part to the circuit to pin 11 to allow the amp to settle before the amp powered the speakers. I also designed the pcb with an opamp buffer as a preamp so no need for a separate preamp. It's a great sounding amp.

Mac

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/215967-diy-loudspeaker-construction.html

The Book Worm - DIY Audio Ebooks and Manuals - Speakers, Moscode Amplifiers, Electronics, Map Reading, Free Capacitor Intro.

well actually one of the reasons why i am going with the 8560 is because local dealer doesnt have 1557, but thanks for the advice anyways...
i am still hoping for the 3 answers :)

Kitax, I added a buffer to my TDA1557Q amp, actually I designed 3 boards around this chip (straight fwd amp, a sub-woofer amp and a surround sound amp), so as not to interfere with the output opamp of my cd/dvd player. The opamp also takes care of signal conditioning for the sub-woofer or the center and rear channels of the surround sound amp (TDA1558Q).
Mac

Last edited:
well actually one of the reasons why i am going with the 8560 is because local dealer doesnt have 1557, but thanks for the advice anyways...
i am still hoping for the 3 answers :)

In answer to your questions: if you need to change the bass or treble then you would need a preamp otherwise a simple buffer will do. The circuit in the data sheet is fine but you need to add the delay circuit to prevent clicks when switching on and it runs fine on 12v. The 8560 is essentially a higher power version of the 1557Q, might even be an upgraded version of the old TDA1562. The thing though is what is your power source because the higher power chips will drain your battery quicker? If you want I can post my schematic of my amp just need to tidy it up.

Mac

well the pasive one would decrease the volume a lot, if im right, but thanx for the link ^^

Well that's why I designed my amp with an input buffer, you can increase the gain if need be. If you have to add a preamp then use a TDA 7630 or TDA1524 and build a dedicated preamp. I use the TDA 7630 in my Camm EquiTone preamp and it is the best preamp that I have heard. I am currently building a new preamp to test the TDA1524 chip.

Arty I stand corrected on the 8560, the 1562 is an class H amplifier.

DIY Preamplifier - The Book Worm

Mac

Kitax, depending on the speaker You wish to drive, the decreased volume at -probably the mid- freqvencys will not mather at all.
even if so, most likely any decent opamp set with some gain will elliminate this problem.
Say TL082 is absolutely fine for this task.
It can be added later, and it can be run from 12V single rail.

But i would absolute like to ask what speakers are You going to drive with it?
i have a tda1557q amp driving 3 way 8 ohm speakers with a 7" bass unit and i don't even need quarter of its power. Allso i have a passive network to for BSC and bass "boost".

well i actually already made a amp with tda8560, and it sounds grate with 260W 4ohm speakers. unfortunatly a friend of mine burned the chip , by accidentaly sodering wrong wires togather (i asked him to change a rezistor) :D... i have plans to change the chip on monday, after he gives it back to me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.