Got 8200pf Polystyrene caps 63v. Where can I use them in audio circuits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive added this cap in parallel with the tweeter cap and whoaaaa the tweeter opened alot in its highs.. It was strange to see that small value made a big difference but finally the inductance of the big cap is being bypassed by the small cap and since its polystyrene i believe it sings way too good..

the same song same volume the highs opened up way alot..

Clean the stock out - 8.2nF also works fine for C7 on the MyRef, and polystyrene film/foil is the highest quality film cap available. The only thing you have to be careful about is soldering - the film can get damaged easily by high temperatures conducted through the leads during soldering.

Two days its been running Im in love with them like its said cant live without them. I will clean sweep the stock. There are other lower values few in thousands of pf and few in hundreds also ill clean everysingle value and cap.
you mean to say decoupling for the preamp? do you think its worth enough to decouple the pow amp aswell?

Im thinking to use another cap which is 10 times lower than this in parallel with the current configuration and another one ten times less than this. Hope its the holygrail for the tweeter.

As of now the tweeter is like dominating the mid sometimes my attention gets more towards the tweeter and its sooo soft and kind yet very very detailed...

Any tips to use these in amps will be very helpful.. Im thinking to use them as decoupling cap as well any suggestions. Ive seen your myref design seems nice...

I will open one cap and see how its constructed and if possible get the polystyrene film roll and make some bigger values like .1uf or 1uf. I understand they will be large but if somebody is able to afford one or two cubic foot space for the tweeter crossover or a cubic foot in the amp for outstanding quality we can do that. Some say that the material is not available any more but I see lots of people are using them for other purposes. Why cant audio... Ill try but need some time before getting into building big caps. Since it has best chars its better to make a cap out of that..

NO styrenes

Yeah, I have some old NOS small value ones. Also have pulled some used ones from old equipment that are 23000pf to 69000pf values and 63vdc. Rather large as you indicated they would be. Haven't used them much. Tried them in the bypass mode, but didn't leave them in.
I have tried to eliminate capacitors from the signal path, and only have one in the power amps and have not needed to bypass anywhere else. Glad that you found them to be of such value!

I see their benefit in the highs or extreme highs and upper mids which generally comes through tweeters. Im thinking of different configurations but getting tempted to build the bigger caps.

I have opened one metalised polyester to see how the cap is constructed and found that its very thin film which is being wounded. I dont know how big the polystyrene cap would become for higher values but lets see...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.