OMFG only just realized whats going on on this site

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok so this site is called diy audio but i never realized you guys are actually making your own amps i made a 12 inch sub from a large metal can and a load of neodinium magnets from hard drives once sounded terrible and i mean terrible but you guys are building your own amps i wanna give it a go where do i start bearing in mind i only have basic knowledge ok very basic when it comes to electrical components i build pcs all the time but everybody knows thats just expensive lego :/

i know how to build step up and step down transformers i doubt building an amp would be as simple as building a step up transformer though

point me in the right direction guys also ime skint sooooo err yeah maybe i coulod modify an amp or summat

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Since this is posted in the Chip Amp forum, it would probably also be a very nice starting point.

I guess you could salvage some parts from old amps, like power transformer, casing, maybe resistors, heat sinks, potentiometer and so on.

So if you decide on a chip amp kit you want to build, and basicly discard most of the stuff inside a broken amplifier, replace the innards with the kit you put together, you're set. You may have to sacrifice several amplifiers to find an appropriate power transformer, that depends on the kit you decide to build.

You need some basic tools, like soldering iron, various screwdrivers, a multimeter and some pliers. A decent kit have been the first step on the road for many diy'ers.

Decide on a price range for the kit, and remember to include shipping.

Get your feet wet into diy...Build your own amp!

Welcome to diy audio stenwo123!. Yes you are right, here you can get all the help building your amp from start to finish. Here there are a lot of professional members that share their high knowledge, time and kindness with us. I would start with the simplest amp like the chip amps or "gainclones" using the LM3886/LM3875 IC like I did many years ago when I got into diy, Now I build discrete amps class A/B only. Good luck;)

PS: With the right help here you can accomplish building amplifiers that will outperform many of those commercial amps that costs thousands. Trust me it feels so good!;)

Gawd Richard,
Don't scare Sten off by mentioning Thevinen.
I've seen grown men wet themselves at the mere mention of it.
Sten,
Find a design which is thoroughly described in an article and have a go at it. Try something simple like a Pass Zen Amp or something similar.
Good Luck!

Thanks guys i may come across as a complete retard with the way i spell and my lack of grammar lol but i do well with steep learning curves especialy when its something ime very interested in i am slightly worried however i may be overdoing it somewhat with the hobbies
i currently do computer animation ie cgi
i play guitar
i also do computer programing
i build hho powered weapons childish yes but fun as hell
i make hho generators
now i wanna make amps lol

i do have an old marshall gutar amp ive just taken apart thats not working maybe fixing that would be a good start ???

thanks again guys and sorry for the torture that reading my threads must cause :/

Warning!

Please, please, PLEASE don't go poking around your Marshall Amp before reading "Safety practices" in the tube forums.........This is assuming your Marshall is tube powered of course. Tube amps have high voltages in them which can kill you in the blink of an eye if you touch the wrong thing inside........OK? EVEN if you turned the power off........Tube amps can hold a lethal charge in them for quite a time after they are turned off....
Chip amps can be very fun & inexpensive to experiment with.with quite good results..........Tube amps are a completely different animal......but can be "tamed".

______________________________________________________Rick..........

Be very careful you will be working with live voltages!!! Do you know most of the parts in an amplifier and how they work like: Capacitors,resistors,diodes,transistors,inductors,transformers etc? You will also have to read voltages.if you are ready for this and just want to build an easy amp, get some kits from Audiosector.com like LM3875 and you will get a nice amp with not too much trouble, the most common problem is "ground loop" or back noise due to the wiring. after you are more familiar with diy amps, you can start building discrete amps in class A and Class A/B.;)

One step safer

Sometimes even wiring up volume pots and binding posts correctly can be a challenge for a complete novice. I would recommend getting one's feet wet with a chip amp kit that runs off battery power or a 12V 2A "wall wart" power supply. Velleman and Sure make some kits. Sure even makes some pre-made amp boards for cheap that make a finished amplifier much easier to build.

Example: http://www.sure-hifi.com/?page_id=271

Last edited:
I'd start on small battery powered amps, like an LM386. Learning on higher power stuff means you will be blowing stuff up. As a beginner, you may hook wires up wrong and ruin more costly parts. With low cost parts, the investment is small and you learn something from it for future projects.

I'd get a book on basic electronics to get you going.

im more than aware of the power from a vacume tube that is if a vacume tube used in amps is the same as those used on old cathode ray tubes my dad has fixed electronics since i can remember and he said the only shock worse than the time he replaced the sucker on the back of a crt tv was from a childs laser gun toy
used on the old zx spectrum 9volt battery lol

yeah anyway ime well aware of what can be touched and what cannot however i will read all safety advice i can thanks for the advice guys i think i will star with the low powered cheaper components end of things as suggested

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.