OMFG only just realized whats going on on this site - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2012, 09:45 PM   #11
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

As was already mentioned I would start off with a gainclone. That's what I did...

Get the audiosector lm3875 kit and follow the instructions. The documentation is great, its pretty cheap, theres only a handful of components and it sounds fantastic for the price.
Old 3rd September 2012, 09:46 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Be very careful you will be working with live voltages!!! Do you know most of the parts in an amplifier and how they work like: Capacitors,resistors,diodes,transistors,inductors, transformers etc? You will also have to read voltages.if you are ready for this and just want to build an easy amp, get some kits from Audiosector.com like LM3875 and you will get a nice amp with not too much trouble, the most common problem is "ground loop" or back noise due to the wiring. after you are more familiar with diy amps, you can start building discrete amps in class A and Class A/B.
Old 3rd September 2012, 09:55 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The LM3875 kit from Audiosector.com is nice. I have bought probably 5-6 of those.

If you want something cheaper you can try some from 41hz.com maybe. Some of those work off regular computer PSU's.

Good luck! :-)
Old 4th September 2012, 02:22 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default One step safer

Sometimes even wiring up volume pots and binding posts correctly can be a challenge for a complete novice. I would recommend getting one's feet wet with a chip amp kit that runs off battery power or a 12V 2A "wall wart" power supply. Velleman and Sure make some kits. Sure even makes some pre-made amp boards for cheap that make a finished amplifier much easier to build.

Example: http://www.sure-hifi.com/?page_id=271

Last edited by cervelorider; 4th September 2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 4th September 2012, 04:19 PM   #15
johnr66 is offline johnr66  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd start on small battery powered amps, like an LM386. Learning on higher power stuff means you will be blowing stuff up. As a beginner, you may hook wires up wrong and ruin more costly parts. With low cost parts, the investment is small and you learn something from it for future projects.

I'd get a book on basic electronics to get you going.
Old 4th September 2012, 11:29 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

im more than aware of the power from a vacume tube that is if a vacume tube used in amps is the same as those used on old cathode ray tubes my dad has fixed electronics since i can remember and he said the only shock worse than the time he replaced the sucker on the back of a crt tv was from a childs laser gun toy
used on the old zx spectrum 9volt battery lol

yeah anyway ime well aware of what can be touched and what cannot however i will read all safety advice i can thanks for the advice guys i think i will star with the low powered cheaper components end of things as suggested

Hide this!Advertise here!