just wanna ask a few questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi im new here and I just want to ask something. I found this circuit from the AD8532 datasheet and Im having trouble trying to understand how the circuit really works (from input to the output).

can someone enlighten me on this?
why are there two outputs?
what are the functions of each amp of the circuit?
does the input require a dc or ac voltage?

this is a bal line driver btw

Untitled.png

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The lefdt A1 is a simple buffer - it is configured for gain = 1 (inverting input conneced to output).
Then there are two A2 opamps that provide the two opposing balanced outputs (one A2 is inverting).
The right A1 sets the DC input to the two A2's to make it sit at half the supply voltage for max signal range.
Makes sense?

jan didden

The lefdt A1 is a simple buffer - it is configured for gain = 1 (inverting input conneced to output).
Then there are two A2 opamps that provide the two opposing balanced outputs (one A2 is inverting).
The right A1 sets the DC input to the two A2's to make it sit at half the supply voltage for max signal range.
Makes sense?

jan didden

what do you mean about making the A2s sit at half the supply voltage for max signal range? sorry I got confused there.

and two more questions pls

I simulated the circuit in multisim and what I got at the output was two waveforms that are not identical to each other. the -vout was larger than +vout. why is that?

and Im supposed to use an AC supply here right?

thank you very much!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The circuit as shown runs on a 5 ? and a 12 volt rail.

The output of the opamps has to sit at half supply so it can go up as well as down. So if it sits at plus 6 volts it can go up as high as 12 and down as low as zero. So you get the maximum voltage swing without either the top or bottom of the signal being clipped.

The two 100k resistors set the "mid point" and generate a 6 volt reference. This appears at the output of the right hand A1

The supplies are DC.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
what do you mean about making the A2s sit at half the supply voltage for max signal range? sorry I got confused there.

and two more questions pls

I simulated the circuit in multisim and what I got at the output was two waveforms that are not identical to each other. the -vout was larger than +vout. why is that?

and Im supposed to use an AC supply here right?

thank you very much!

Look at the non-inverting input of the right hand A1. Do you see what kind of voltage that is?
That A1 is configured as a gain-of-one follower, do you see that?
So what is the voltage going to the A2's via R7 and R11?

jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.