Is Variable Gain a better choice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In modifiying an Opamp audio circuit, for the volume control, there are a few ways to go about it.

1. Potentiometer before the gain stage (noise is amplified)
2. Potentiometer after the gain stage
3. A low impedance Pot generating Variable Gain but not in the negative feedback loop.

I'm looking at options 2 and 3.

My preference for option 3 is that rather than having the gain being constant and attenuate the gained signal of option 2, we are able to have low gain (and its benefits at low volume levels) and only get more noise etc when increasing the gain past unity.

The concept is this: The feedback loop has a fixed resistance, but the division to ground is varied. Thus the feedback loop is not dirtied.

What are your thoughts on this?

Attachments

• Varigain Opamp.JPG
    Varigain Opamp.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 130
I wouldn't do that, because I believe one always should use as short tracks as possible for feedback, as well as use high quality resistor. Well, for NON-Inverting it might even work, as you said, it is just to set ratio, but for inverting version - I wouldn't recommend.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.